Kiva Partner Impact Fellowship - Kenya and/or Senegal
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Kiva Microfunds
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Kenya and/or Senegal
875 Howard St.
Kiva (www.kiva.org) is a mission driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans to serve the financially excluded. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an internet start-up with a mission to alleviate poverty. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.”
In just 12 years, Kiva has raised over $1 billion in loan capital for nearly 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Nairobi, Mexico City and Bangkok, Kiva's team has 100+ employees and 500+ volunteers worldwide.
Kiva's Partnerships team works primarily with Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), non-profits, and social enterprises known as Field Partners who post borrower profiles from all over the world onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, conducting due diligence, monitoring and managing relationships with Field Partners. The team also trains new partners, and ensures that existing partners are compliant with Kiva policies and aligned with Kiva's social mission and strategic focus.
We are looking for passionate, dedicated, skilled volunteers to support the efforts of the Partnerships team by serving as Kiva's eyes and ears on the ground, working directly with the employees and clients of Kiva's Field Partners. Reporting to regional Portfolio Managers and the Senior Manager for Partnerships Evaluation, the Partner Impact Fellow contributes to the overall goals of the team and the organization through the execution of a customized workplan over the course of 6 months.
Kiva Fellows come from a wide variety of backgrounds and professional experiences. They are united by their desire to gain on-the-ground, hands-on experience in the microfinance sector while meaningfully contributing to Kiva's mission. The Kiva Fellowship is an unpaid volunteer position, but reimbursements for international travel (up to $1,500 total) and monthly living expenses (~$400/month) are provided for the duration of the fellowship to help offset expenses.
All fellows must attend Kiva Fellows Training Week in San Francisco, CA, July 16 - 20, 2018. Fellows are expected to deploy to the field within two weeks following training and conclude their service in January 2019.
- Systematic Impact Assessment: Assist in ongoing evaluation projects aiming to produce credible empirical evidence regarding the impact of Field Partner activities or identifying opportunities for improving effectiveness. Assist in drafting of reports connecting partner activities to the related body of rigorous impact assessment research. Advise and discuss with partners potential pathways for improving impact, risk, or popularity of the products marketed on Kiva.org
- Develop Monitoring & Evaluation Systems: Identify and expand systems for ongoing collection of administrative and monitoring data that partners can share with Kiva to assess the impact of Kiva-funded products.
- Reporting Impact: Support internal impact measurement efforts, interview Field Partner staff and provide relevant updates to the Kiva lender community through Journal Updates and Kiva Fellows Blog posts. Document Field Partner activities and impact through photo and video content collection.
- Client Interviews: Conduct borrower verifications and interviews to comply with Kiva policies and understand how loan products are (or aren't) helping clients.
- Partner Support: Serve as Kiva's on-the-ground ambassador for Field Partners, helping to communicate Kiva mission, vision and strategies. Assist in onboarding approved partners, communicate Kiva policy to partners and update Kiva on any new partner developments and/or issues. Provide assistance, as needed, to resolve issues faced by the partners such as trouble accessing tools provided by Kiva.
- Partner Operations: Assess the Kiva-related operations of assigned Field Partners, identifying opportunities for increased efficiency and implementing sustainable solutions. Provide training and technical assistance on Kiva systems, processes, and policies to key Field Partner staff members involved in the Kiva workflow.
- Business Development: Develop local contacts and networks to assist with the sourcing and recruitment of new partner organizations.
Kenya and/or Senegal
Please note that these locations are subject to change based on the needs of Kiva's Field Partners and Partnerships Evaluation team. Further information about timing and sequencing of travel will be provided during the interview and offer process.
- 21 years of age by the start of Kiva Fellows Training Week
- Ability to travel to San Francisco for Kiva Fellows Training Week
- Available for full 6-month volunteer commitment
- Fluency in English
- Positive attitude and dedication to Kiva's mission
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of rapidly shifting priorities and circumstances
- Comfortable traveling extensively when needed and living for an extended period of time in developing countries
- Ability to take initiative and work independently while maintaining ongoing communication with a remote manager
- Cultural sensitivity, which may include prior work or volunteer experience in a cross-cultural setting
- 3-5 years' work experience in related roles (quantitative or qualitative research, non-profit monitoring & evaluation, administrative information systems)
- Experience collecting data, especially designing or implementing surveys
- Experience with research methods for impact evaluation
- Experience with data analysis, visualization, and reporting
- Proficiency in French strongly preferred; Swahili a plus
- Comfort with learning new technologies
- An inquisitive and optimistic approach to complex questions
- Comfortable learning new technologies
- Patience and persistence when advocating for change
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Access to a well-connected network of 700+ former Kiva Fellows, plus the wider Kiva network of staff, interns, and partners
- A week of in-depth training at Kiva headquarters in San Francisco, plus ongoing professional development workshops and trainings
- On-the-ground exposure to the microfinance, crowdfunding, and social enterprise sectors
- Modest reimbursements to help offset international travel and monthly living expenses, plus travel insurance coverage.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please apply directly through our website here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/kivafellows/jobs/1082771#.WsVXtGinGEs