Fundraising & Communications Program Assistant
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Diocese of Olympia Refugee Resettlement Office
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
1610 S. King Street
Fundraising & Communications Program Assistant will assist the office with the day to day activities and duties of maintaining our website and social media platforms, as well as directly impacting the lives of refugees that come through our resettlement program by organizing much needed supply drives and fundraising events.
These activities will include: organizing community drives and small fundraising events, community outreach, updating donor database as needed, writing articles for our website, Assisting in updating social media accounts and website and more. Volunteer is needed Monday – Friday, between 10am to 5pm. 3-month minimum commitment, 2 to 12 hours per week.
This position requires little direct client interaction, and 75% of duties will be based on-site at our office.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities, ethnicities, organizational systems, and have English language skill levels.
- Ability to be responsible with routines: arrive on time, come every day, call in sick only when absolutely essential, etc.
- Computer literacy – use of Microsoft Platforms (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.), internet research, send emails etc.
- Ability to stay focused on the task at hand but also be flexible.
- Plenty of energy and patience with donors as well as operational systems.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Be available at least two hours a week for a three month period.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Experience working with other cultures and/or languages
- Experience or education in marketing, communications or development
- Experience in event planning or fundraising
All Program Assistants will receive generalized office and client training as well as specialized training within their area of participation. Supervision will be given by both the volunteer manager as well as the program’s direct contact.
The Refugee Resettlement Office is a small non-profit agency located near the intersection of Rainier and Jackson in Seattle, just east of the International district. It is our mission to help refugees and asylees become self-sufficient in their new environment. The majority of our clients are from Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Bhutan, Burman, Iraq, and Afghanistan. We operate under several state contracts to work with adult clients who are on welfare, retired, disabled, or between jobs.
We are a small office with a very collegial environment, a relaxed workplace, and a typically casual dress code. We laugh a lot, are helpful and courteous to one another, and everyone pitches in to make sure that all of our various programs are a success. Program Assistants will be covered by the organization’s liability insurance during their time with us.
The Fundraising & Communications Program Assistant is an unpaid volunteer position. We are happy to work with institutions that provide education or other credit and are willing to give recommendations for volunteers when they are warranted. FCPAs may also be able to take some personal tax deductions through their work with us.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
After filling out the Volunteer Application (also found on our website) please email a copy of the application, your references and your resume to our Development & Volunteer Manager at email@example.com
After reviewing your application, we will set up a short phone interview and conduct a background check. You will then be invited to participate in volunteer orientation where you will receive further training, set your work schedule and get oriented to the office.