Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
East 17th Street
Mentors are needed for an introductory mentoring program this April. We are partnering with a foster care agency
located on East 17th, which will meet on consecutive Tuesdays and will work teen girls living at the group home. Their ages range from 15 to 21.
The goal of the program is to make these initial sessions as a starting point for matches to hopefully keep in touch outside of the site-based model. There is absolutely no pressure if you feel you haven’t made a connection with your mentee or they haven’t made one with you. However, this is a possibility we are exploring for this group.
Mentoring USA is a site-based model and will support you throughout your experience during on-site sessions. If you choose to continue with your mentee beyond these sessions, you will then be supported solely by Good Shepherd Services' mentoring coordinator who’ll help arrange your community-based meetings. There is no pressure to continue beyond the initial site-based commitment, again there may or may not be a strong connection or you might feel that site- based is more your preference.
Here are the details of intuition sessions of the program
- Day: Every Tuesday
- Time: 6:00 to 7:30
- Place: East 17th Street
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Steps to become a mentor:
- Email us at email@example.com for more information.
- Complete an MUSA/Good Shepherd Application form.
- Complete a phone interview.
- Fingerprint through a separate database / complete state central registry form and TB test through Good Shepherd Services HR.
- Attend a specialized foster care training which will cover best practices for working with youth in care specific to this age group. The training will also reviews some basics of a defined and verbalized commitment by both parties to a long-term supportive relationship and helps both you remain clear regarding the expectations of the relationship.