A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
International Rescue Committee
1210 S. Bascom Ave
Your family or group can help lead the way from harm to home through the IRC in San Jose’s Housing Outreach Mentorship & Education (HOME) program, which combines direct financial assistance and mentorship to assist newly-arrived refugee families to become self-sufficient and integrated quickly. HOME Teams will be matched with a refugee family to whom they will provide the following types of support: In-Kind donations for apartment set up, direct assistance to subsidize the family's rent, and connect the family to community resources.
Ideal Volunteer in this role is:
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Willing to collect donations and store them offsite
- Able to deliver and assist with apartment set up for the family
- Must be comfortable with communicating with clients and community partners on the phone and in person.
- Willingness to work across department toward measurable outcomes.
- Excellent, interpersonal skills: the ability to work effectively with partners, donors, colleagues in a cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary environment.
Minimum Commitment: 4+ hours/week for a minimum 6 months. This volunteer opportunity takes place outside of the office and scheduled according to the volunteer's availability.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in San Jose, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.