Employment Services Assistant
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Turlock/Modesto, CA
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
2925 Niagra Street
Under the supervision and direction of the Employment Supervisor, volunteers help with a range of activities to help prepare refugee clients for their first jobs in the U.S.
- Work individually with clients to create resumes, conduct job searches, complete applications, find networking opportunities, and help them understand U.S. work culture
- Provide assistance and feedback for clients as they practice interview skills
- Assist employment staff with a variety of projects and administration needs, such as filing and reviewing client records
- Assist employment staff with other tasks as assigned
Minimum Commitment: 3-6 hrs/week for a minimum 4 months, longer volunteer commitments encouraged. Opportunities available in Turlock and Modesto
How To Apply
Here are the steps for getting started with volunteering at the IRC:
- You’ll submit an application online: https://www.rescue.org/announcement/how-volunteer-turlock. Please indicate that you are interested in volunteering at our Turlock USP office (which covers both our Turlock and Modesto sites)
- You'll submit to a background check at a cost of $40. This can be done simply by making an online donation to the IRC at rescue.org/donatenorcal. Once you click on the link, scroll down to the bottom of the “one-time donation” section where you can insert your own amount and enter $40.
- We'll discuss your skills and interests, as well as IRC's current needs.
- You’ll receive and sign a “hire letter” that will detail your volunteer commitments.
- We’ll schedule an orientation in which you’ll learn more about your assignment as well as the IRC’s work in the Central Valley and abroad.