A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
2610 University Ave W, Ste. 450
Prepare + Prosper and its volunteers work with low- to moderate-income people to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, products, and coaching, and by changing systems to create economic opportunity. In 2017, 532 volunteers prepared taxes for 12,648 people who received $24.7 million in refunds, and 984 people saved $1.54 million of their refunds.
What will I be doing as a FINANCIAL ADVOCATE?
The financial advocate (FA) strives to help customers boost their financial knowledge, confidence and habits. The financial advocate will work one-on-one with customers at Prepare + Prosper’s (P+P) tax clinics to discuss their individual financial goals to offer support and access to applicable financial products, services and referrals with a focus on saving. Background in finances is not required; we will train you to be successful in your role!
Role and responsibilities:
- Help participants gain clarity and develop action steps designed to achieve their financial goals
- Offer support, resources and encouragement to guide customers to their own answers
- Process prepaid debit cards, credit reports, U.S. savings bonds and savings accounts
- Ability to respect customers’ financial decisions and actions without judgement
- An engaging personality and ability to connect with customers
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
- Empathetic and understanding of the financial challenges facing low-income adults
- Experience with financial services such as financial education or counseling helpful, but not required
(Note: Volunteers are to refrain from soliciting clients or products.)
Timeline and Commitment:
- November or December 2018: Attend one volunteer info session
- December - January: Attend 8 hours of training
- January 26 - April 15, 2019: Volunteer one, four hour shift per week and impact the lives of your community!
Locations: P+P operates 8 tax sites across the Twin Cities metro area, with locations in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Bloomington and Hopkins. Volunteers select a tax site that is convenient to work, home, or school. Our main office is in St. Paul off of University Avenue near the intersection University Avenue West & Highway 280.
Please visit Prepare + Prosper's website for more information.
INTERESTED? Sign up for a volunteer info session here:
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested? Join is for an info session to learn more! Sign up at https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1111754443