Homework Support Leader (Educational support- tarea)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by SKIP - Supporting Kids in Peru
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Mayta Capac 1325
Calle Mayta Capac 1325
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
There are over 200 children between the ages of four and eighteen years old currently enrolled in the education programme, which makes it the largest department in SKIP. We aim to maintain an exciting, stimulating and engaging learning environment. Our aim is not to replace the local education system, but rather supplement it. Following a curriculum designed especially for the children at SKIP, we provide classes in subjects such as reading comprehension, Math and Computing.
Our Homework Help Program
SKIP’s Homework Help Program is designed to provide our primary students with time and support to do their homework. Many of the students’ parents are illiterate or have a low level of education and are not able to provide help with homework at home. This is why every primary class has a weekly Homework Help session in their timetable. During this 45 minute class students bring and complete their homework. For the students who do not bring their homework, Homework Help volunteers plan engaging activities to review what the students have learned in their curricular Maths and Communication classes throughout the week.
Under supervision of the Education Coordinator, and following a basic curriculum, run the Homework Help sessions throughout the week. Tasks include supervising the other homework help volunteers, creating lesson plans each week, creating fun and engaging ways for the students to review materials. We are looking for someone who could dedicate some specific time to improving this program and finding ways to encourage the children to bring their homework each week through a reward system or group challenge.
The minimum amount of time for this position is 4 months- with this amount of time the normal contribution fee would apply. The desired amount of time for this position is 9 months- in that case it would be combined with the Volunteer Leader role (found here https://skipperu.org/volunteer-positions/volunteer-leader/) -the contribution fee would be waived and free accommodation would be provided.
The volunteer would spend 50% of their time working in the Tarea program and would have available time to work in other aspects of the project.
The Benefits of Volunteering with Us
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- A thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department, and specific role
- Structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members –
- Mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- The chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
- Confirmation of volunteer service
- Passion for working with Children of all ages
- Experience supporting children with basic literacy skills and maths operations
- Creativity, flexibility, initiative
- Minimum 4 month commitment
- Intermediate Spanish
- Advanced Spanish
- Experience as a teacher or assistant at the pre-school/primary/secondary level
- 9 month commitment
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers