Work remotely with talented peers on a rewarding, nonprofit program. Do good for your community while using your professional expertise. Work with talented peers on a rewarding non-profit cause related program. The Rare Genomics Institute is making a difference. RG is a nonprofit organization that helps families in need of genome research.
Responsible for overall program design and management, providing legal counsel to the President/CEO, Senior Leadership and programmatic team leads, and provide supervision and oversight of the legal team staff and initiatives.
The Director Legal Programs is expected to lead and provide oversight over organization-wide projects and work collaboratively with other divisions toward improved business results and high levels of employee engagement. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of legal programs, including, providing legal counsel across the organization, supervision of legal team, in support of organizational effectiveness, compliance, and best practices..
- Supervise and coordinate the legal work of all legal staff, including reviewing and evaluating written work, supervision ongoing litigation, conducting case review, and making case assignments.
- Develop and implement procedures for monitoring and evaluating the performance of staff, and project/program activities.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the Organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the Organization
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's programmatic elements of its strategic plan and performance.
- Oversee staffing and managing legal advocacy programs and providing adequate training and direction for volunteers.
- Manage the ongoing success and growth of emerging, established and signature programs and public policy initiatives.
- Attend meetings of the Board to report on programmatic planning and progress and to guide, educate and inform Board members with regard to community needs.
- Continual improvement of internal legal and operational processes through education of the legal team and operational issues impacting their units.
- Provide strategic input and leadership as a member of the senior management team to formulate and implement policies that meet the organization’s short and long-term objectives
- Work with the VP of Finance, CEO/President, HR, IT and Board to optimize the collection of data necessary for grant and other funding reporting requirements.
- Evaluation of the structure and team plan for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the Litigation group as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited law school, licensed to practice Law.
- Five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- An experienced leader and legal executive with appropriate legal experience, preferably in the public interest arena.
- An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts both business and union environments
- A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well versed in management systems