A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Through My Eyes is seeking new members to serve on its Board of Directors in the following capacities:
Through My Eyes is a registered United States charitable organization that works internationally within communities, promoting opportunities for educational and economic development through documentary film workshops. We operate through partnerships with fellow charitable organizations whose focus is on youth and community empowerment; hosting workshops on narrative storytelling documentaries, teaching the youth to create their own films. The films are hosted online and at special film festival fundraisers, raising money and awareness. For more information, please visit www.throughmyeyesfoundation.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
General Board Member Responsibilities
- Completes comprehensive Through My Eyes Orientation, to learn about organization’s history, values, goals, and organizational structure
- Attends all meetings of the Board of Directors (bi-monthly) via Google Hangouts.
- Becomes familiar with the operations of the non-profit organization to inform planning and decision-making
- Gets to know other Board members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus decision-making
- Actively participates in Board meetings and planning efforts
- Adequately prepares for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports
- Communicates via email with other Board members and personnel in a timely manner to contribute to BOD decisions
- Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments, and completes them thoroughly and on time
- Participates in fundraising and donating for the organization
Hours: Approximately 5 hours per week; flexible, except meetings (we hold bi-monthly 2-hour Board meetings via Google Hangouts)
Start date: Summer 2018
Location: Anywhere. However, many of Through My Eyes volunteers are based out of Richmond, Virginia and New York City, New York. Therefore, it is beneficial for some Board members to be based from Richmond or New York City, and especially beneficial for the Treasurer to be based in Richmond, as our primary team is located there.
Remuneration: As per United States charitable law, all Board positions are unpaid volunteer positions.
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a continual basis, and the positions will remain open until a suitable candidate is chosen.
- Experience on the Board of Directors of an international charitable organization
- Experience in NGO management and strategic planning, as well as international development
- Professional development training in youth and community-based international development, fair trade, equality, women's rights, lgbtq rights, refugee rights, and other themes
- Public recognition on our website and social media
- Letter of Recommendation, after six months of service and pending performance
- Room for growth, including other positions in our Board of Directors and team, and opportunities to travel to to communities around the world!
- Fundraising & grant-writing experience
- Like-minded values that align with Through My Eyes vision, mission, and value structure
- Prior experience/expertise in one or more of the following:
- Volunteer coordination
- Project management
- Social enterprises
- Fund development
- Financial literacy, and able to read budgets
- Prior experience in or connection to international charitable organizations.
- Bilingual English and any other language
- Prior experience on non-profit boards
- Resident of Richmond, Virginia
Specific Roles Available
1) Treasurer, Board of Directors
Through My Eyes Treasurer sits on the Board of Directors, leads the accounting and financial planning of the United States charitable organization, and delivers reports of the financial condition of the organization to the Board of Directors. The Treasurer oversees the work of the Accountant in the routine financial matters of the organization and liaises with any of our partner organization’s accountant. Specific requirements and assets available upon request.
2) Member-at-Large, Board of Directors
Through My Eyes is seeking to enlarge its Board of Directors with experienced persons in fundraising, social enterprise, and volunteer coordination. A Director of Through My Eyes will provide positive relations with donors, pursue applicable grants, actively represent the mission of Through My Eyes to the public, bring new opportunities to the organization, and assist with recruitment and management of volunteers. Specific requirements and assets are available upon request.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
For more information about this position or to apply, please contact email@example.com. To apply, please submit your CV or resume, with a short (max. one-page) Letter of Intent outlining why you are interested in joining our Board of Directors. When submitting your application, please indicate how you learned about this opportunity.