Volunteer in South Africa - Great White Shark Conservation
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by GoEco - Volunteer Abroad
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Travel to majestic South Africa and volunteer in the Great White shark capital of the world.
Cage dive with Great Whites and collect data on many different marine species for marine biology research. Join leaders in eco-tourism and marine conservation by volunteering with a team of full-time marine biologists studying the Great White shark and other marine species.
Volunteer Work and Contribution:
Every volunteer becomes completely involved in the eco-tourism (cage diving) and conservation work throughout his or her stay. Participants will learn about the biology and behaviors of the marine species in the area, including the opportunity to get up-close and personal with Great White sharks.
Time at Sea:
- Tracking sharks
- Cage diving
- 'Chum' trips - bringing sharks close to the boat to assess populations
- Research on whales, dolphins, penguins, seals, and sea birds
Daily work includes:
- Photo identification of species
- Data collection
- Assisting in the daily diving operations (including taking part in the dives)
- Assisting the skipper and crew in various duties
- Laying and retrieving of anchors
- Preparing wetsuits and cleaning the boat
Get involved and begin the journey of your lifetime!!
Language/Cultural Support Available