A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church
921 Madison Ave
Our 12-bed shelter for homeless men is a joint operation of Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church and St. James' Church. The shelter is staffed entirely by volunteer hosts, who provide a light meal and a safe and comfortable sleeping environment for our guests seven nights each week.
The shelter space is located inside Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church on the corner of 73rd street and Madison Avenue.
We are seeking early evening and overnight hosts for our homeless shelter. We are particularly interested in overnight hosts. Our shelter runs every week of the year, from Sunday-Thursday.
The early evening host (6:30pm-8:30pm):
- Welcomes and checks-in the guests.
- Prepares the breakfast tray.
- Offers a light snack for those who missed dinner at the Drop-in Center.
- Makes sure that everyone has enough linens, blankets, and toiletries to be comfortable and cleans up the table and kitchen.
The overnight host (8:30pm-7:00am):
- Organizes food clean-up with help from the guests.
- Makes sure breakfast is ready to go.
- Ensures the smooth operation of the shelter overnight, from 10:00pm lights-out to wake up, breakfast and departure in the morning.
- Leaves the kitchen and guest area clean and neat.
- Early and Overnight Hosts can volunteer by themselves or with a friend/partner/family member/etc. Our volunteers are committed to serving our shelter guests. Most hosts serve at least twice/month.
Prospective hosts must attend an Open House orientation or contact us to arrange for an individual orientation. Open House Orientations are held on a monthly basis at 1:00 p.m., meeting at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church.
We rely on our volunteer hosts to keep the shelter open, so we need dependable volunteers to show up for and complete every shift they agree to fill.
Volunteers must be 18 or older. Volunteers must also be able to lift 20 lbs for snack set-up.
How To Apply
Prospective hosts should contact us at email@example.com to learn more or arrange for an individual orientation.
We rely on our volunteer hosts to keep the shelter open, so we need people who can be depended upon to show up for and complete every shift they agree to fill.