Communications and Marketing Intern for TIDE Tours and Ridge to Reef Expeditions
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Toledo Institute for Development and Environment (TIDE)
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
P.O. Box 150
1 Mile San Antonio Road
The Toledo Institute of Development and Environment (TIDE) is a Belizean NGO working to protect some of the most pristine coastal and marine ecosystems in Central America, including one of the healthiest coral reefs in the whole Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System. TIDE works by building local capacity for conservation and fostering community participation in sustainable management of natural resources.
TIDE is one of the leading conservation organizations in the region and is pioneering new approaches, including the first implementation of a managed access fishery policy in the Caribbean as well as an award-winning environmental education and sports competition, the “TIDE Freshwater Cup.”
Presently, TIDE is financed almost exclusively through grant funding. In an effort to achieve greater financial security and ensure long-term support for our important conservation and development programs, we are diversifying our funding streams. One of the funding mechanisms is TIDE’s subsidiary TIDE Tours, a premier eco-tourism operator that provides tours of natural, cultural and archaeological attraction in Toledo, Belize’s “forgotten district”. A second, novel, volunteer program called Ridge to Reef Expeditions (R2R), is a product of TIDE Tours. The program provides an opportunity to participate in a wide range of TIDE’s exciting research and monitoring activities, all taking place in one of the most pristine parts of the Mesoamerican biodiversity hotspot.
The objective of this communications and marketing internship is to assist and support the TIDE Tours Sales and Marketing Manager with the implementation of the TIDE Tours marketing strategy, which includes:
- Managing social media for TIDE Tours and R2R, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Trip Advisor & Snapchat;
- Creating new and unique content for the TIDE Tours and R2R websites;
- Targeted seasonal marketing to promote particular upcoming TT/R2R programs;
- Continuing the development of an annual marketing calendar (core focus on social media);
- Creating and editing brochures, videos and other marketing materials as required;
- Managing the TIDE Tours/R2R photo library, which includes taking, editing, and organizing photos;
- Take tours with TIDE Tours then publish blogs and articles about them to promote TIDE Tours;
- Take part in R2R expedition activities then publish blogs and articles about them to promote R2R and TIDE
- Sharing information about TT and R2R to contacts within the customer and agent partner database via email newsletters;
- Assisting in managing the TIDE Tours front desk and tour operations when the manager is unavailable, including speaking with customers in the office, answering phone calls and making reservations, helping to prepare tour equipment, etc;
- Assisting the Sales and Marketing Manager and Financial Sustainability Manager in general promotion and marketing duties as required.
In addition to these responsibilities, there may be opportunities to;
- Updating and streamlining the current TIDE Tours/R2R customer and agent partner database
- Assist with identifying potential international travel agency partners and websites, then registering TIDE Tours & R2R with them, including creating promotional materials and written content for their marketing requirements;
- Finding new R2R contacts to add to our databases, including university professors, study abroad organisers and student groups;
- Participate in TIDE conservation, development and educational activities in the field then publish blogs and articles about them to promote Ridge to Reef Expeditions;
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and qualities:
- An undergraduate degree level qualification in marketing, communications and/or tourism development;
- Experience working in the tourism industry with a focus on product development, marketing or communications, OR experience working in a marketing/communications role;
- Experience using Mail Chimp software (or similar) as a communications tool;
- Excellent writing and/or visual communications skills including proficiency in use of PowerPoint/Prezi, InDesign, Lightroom;
- Photography and video graphic skills;
- Creativity and a flare for creating smart, professional marketing materials;
- Creativity to devise innovative marketing strategies within a limited or zero budget;
- The energy, confidence and initiative to manage own work and seize the many opportunities at TIDE;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Excellent writing and visual communications skills with proven experience in writing articles, blogs, newsletters, or other written communication and marketing materials, preferably within the tourism industry.
- Excellent written and spoken English skills;
- Willingness and ability to commit to a minimum of six months of volunteer service
The following would be desirable:
- Sound understanding of the target markets and methods by which to reach them;
- A passion for travel and the natural world;
- Experience living in a developing country and among people of other cultures;
- Desktop publishing or graphic design skills (other than those listed above);
- An understanding of integrated environmental, social and economic issues;
The communications and marketing intern will be supervised by the Sales and Marketing Manager. Guidance will be provided but the successful candidate will be proactive and self-sufficient, and expected to carry out most responsibilities independently. Camera, video and software will be provided, but the successful candidate should provide their own laptop.
Benefits of volunteering for TIDE Tours include:
- An opportunity to gain valuable experience in promoting ecotourism and marketing strategies;
- A chance to make a lasting, positive impact for the 3 pillars of sustainable development: conservation, community, and economy;
- Appreciation for your dedication and hard work;
- Living and working in a beautiful, peaceful, multi-cultural Caribbean town;
- Being part of a friendly and dynamic team of committed individuals in a leading Belizean conservation NGO;
- Opportunities to visit the protected areas managed by TIDE and experience some of the exciting tour activities TIDE Tours and R2R offer;
- Adventure in a country with pristine ecosystems, world-class snorkeling and SCUBA.
Please see our websites and social media pages for more information about our programs, activities and latest news:
Please note, that this is a volunteer position, and comes with no financial aid. You will be expected to cover all your costs in Belize, including your volunteer permit.
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter in an email with the subject line “TIDE Tours Communications and Marketing intern” to Caroline Oliver, Sales and Marketing Manager, at email@example.com by Friday 19th October February 2018. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange a telephone interview the following week.