Tanzania Development Support Board Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Tanzania Development Support
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
201 Thornbrook Road
Mission - The mission of Tanzania Development Support (TDS) is to improve the quality of life of youth, especially girls, in the Mara region by supporting primary and secondary school improvements and other community-identified priorities.
The Board Member will support the work of Tanzania Development Support and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Currently, day-to-day operations are led by Kurt Thurmaier, Founder and Board President and a part-time Managing Director. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
· Serving as a trusted advisor to the Board President, Vice-President, and other Board members as they develop and implement TDS’ strategic plan
· Supporting the development of, and reviewing outcomes and metrics created by TDS to evaluate its impact; and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics.
· Reviewing agendas and supporting materials prior to Board meetings
· Approving TDS’ annual budget, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
· Assisting the Board President in identifying and recruiting other Board members
· Partnering with the Board President and other Board members to ensure that resolutions are carried out
· Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
· Representing TDS to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
· Ensuring TDS’ commitment to a diverse board that reflects the community it serves.
· TDS Board members will consider TDS a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that TDS can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, TDS expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications
· Experience in business, government, philanthropy or the non-profit sector
· A commitment to and understanding of TDS’ beneficiaries, preferably based on experience in similar communities or with organizations that serve similar communities
· Affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, and building consensus among diverse individuals
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of TDS’ beneficiaries
· Skilled in one of the following areas: fundraising, technology (e.g. website development, database skills etc.), nonprofit management
Service on TDS’ Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support in relation to Board members duties.
How To Apply
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about TDS’ mission and who has a track record of board or other civic leadership. Selected Board members will have experience in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board members.
Applicants are asked to share information about previous work and/or volunteer experience that would be applicable to the responsibilities of this position. This could include a current resume and cover letter.
Additional information about why this position is appealing to the applicant, previous board experience, special skills and interests, is very helpful.
Board member need not be geographically located in the DeKalb, Illinois area where TDS is based.