GROUP VOLUNTEERING - (TEACH ENGLISH TO PRIMARY SCHOOLS THIS SUMMER 2018)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Youth In Action Against Poverty and HIV/AIDS
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
We run an international teacher assistant volunteer program that helps the teachers and children of the rural and Urban schools of Moshi Municipal and surrounding schools.
There is a great need for help at the schools for teacher’s assistants during the week and at YAAPHA for weekend programs (Optional). The helpers do not necessarily have to be teachers or teacher students, but it will be to a great advantage if they are.
Thus we are introducing a Teacher Assistant Program where we can help young, inexperienced teachers/students that seek experience and that can assist in helping the school and the organization due to a lack of human resources.
We introduce this new feature for group volunteering. You may join with other volunteers from other countries this summer. The program will start on 1st July -21st July 2018.
Activity Description for this project are as follows:
- Teach English
Most of the English teaching at this placement would be informal. The English practiced would be during games or other after school activities that you had developed. However, for the structured English lessons during the day would be appreciated.
- Help with preparations for any other projects of the organization
- Organize Games
A volunteer English teacher would be expected to develop and implement games for the children not in school that would teach the English language in a fun and enjoyable manner. These games may involve singing or dancing activities and should encourage the children to interact with each other. The goal is to create a warm and happy learning environment for the children.
- Engage in skills and social development activities with school children /Organization
Arrival and Orientation.( Arrival Date: 30th June 2018- Time: Anytime depends flight schedule.
The program orientation begins on the 1st of every month and volunteers need to arrive in Moshi Town on the day before orientation.
- After you have registered for the program, please book your flights to arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) .
When you arrive, you will be greeted at the airport by a member of the local team and transported to the volunteer accommodation in Moshi Town. Your accommodation is covered by your Program Fee and includes the night before your program orientation.
Orientation is hosted by our local team at the volunteer house in Moshi. Orientation begins in the morning of your chosen start date. Orientation covers everything you need to know for your volunteer program in Tanzania – Introduction to Tanzania, Tanzanian Customs, Rules and Expectations, Language Lessons (Kiswahili) Safety, Travel Opportunities in Tanzania, Introduction to your Project and Placement. The orientation will also give you a chance to meet other volunteers and swap contact details for weekend travel and socializing.
- Our accommodation is located in Moshi Town. Rooms are self contained with high quality and big space.
- Our Volunteer House is 10 minutes away from the City Center , Public Transport available 500 miters from the House.
- We have hot shower and permanent water supply , Electricity and Security 24/7
Volunteers in Tanzania will be accommodated in a volunteer house. Volunteers can expect to share a room with 1 to 4 other volunteers of the same gender .The volunteer house can accommodate up to 45 volunteers at one time, also at the volunteer house you will get the following below for free.
- WI-Fi and Satellite TV for free
- Bedding and Towels included ( however you may need to bring your own towel )
- Housekeeping and laundry are provided twice a week.
Food & Beverages
- You will be provided 3 meals per day ( breakfast ,Lunch and dinner ) at the volunteer house. Breakfast usually consists of toast, eggs, noodles, tea, or coffee, Lunch includes Local or western foods and dinner often includes chicken curry, pasta, noodles etc.
- Bottled drinking water is readily available (3Litres per day per person ). If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know so we can make arrangements for you. We will do our best to see that you are well taken care of, but as a volunteer, there is a need to be flexible.
Volunteer Schedule ( Starting 1st July - 21st July 2018)
First Day after Arrival: Orientation - On the first day of the volunteering placement, you will be escorted to the project area by our local staff and introduced to the staff at the project you will be working.
Weekdays: A typical day would be as follows:
7: 00AM - Breakfast at the volunteer house.
7:30 AM - Volunteers leave home and travel to their placements. (Organization transport)
8.00AM – 11:59AM- Working time ( All volunteers )
12.00-13:00 PM- Lunch time at the volunteer house. ( All volunteers)
14:00-16:00PM – Preparing for the next day lessons ( All volunteers)
17:00-18:00PM – Swahili Class to all of our volunteers at the volunteer house
19:00PM - Dinner time (All volunteers are supposed to be at the house for dinner)
Weekends - Free Time for all volunteers
Support and emergency assistance
We provide 24/7 support that includes emotional counseling and first aid support. In case of a medical emergency requiring more than first aid, we will take the volunteer to a doctor or hospital immediately.
Note however that volunteers are required to purchase their own medial insurance as we will not cover these costs.
Should a volunteer need to leave the program for any reason, we will refund the remaining portion of the fee for accommodation and meals (less bank changes), but we will not refund program coordination and transport fees.
Airport pick up and drop off
- Airport Pickup - will be on 29th - 30th June 2018 ( At anytime depends flight schedule of a volunteer)
Location /Airport : Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)
- Drop-Off - Will be on 20th - 21st July 2018 (At anytime depends flight schedule of a volunteer)
Location /Airport : Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)
Important: Airport pickup and Drop-Off already covered by your program fee
Program Fee: $47 per Day Only
Program Fee includes:
Housing, Food, Registration Fees, Airport pickup & Drop off, Local Transportation,
Pre-departure Orientation, Laundry 3 times per week, 24/7 support and project coordination, Volunteer T-shirt, Program Contribution, Local Sim Card , free WiFi at the volunteer house.
Our Program fee excludes:
- Flights and travel costs
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers