VOLUNTEER – WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA REGIONAL OFFICE (DAKAR) (2505)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Amnesty International, International Secretariat
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Amnesty International, West and Central Africa Regional Office
Avenue Cheikh Anta Diop x 3 rue Leo Frobenius
Immeuble Seydi Djamil 3e étage
Volunteer - West and Central Africa Regional Office (Dakar)
We are currently recruiting for a volunteer who will be able to assist the Francophone West Africa team ideally for five days a week for a minimum of 6 months. The countries covered include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal and Togo.
Amnesty International offers a limited number of Volunteer positions in its Dakar Regional Office. These positions are designed for graduate or postgraduate students with knowledge and skills in the areas of social sciences and humanities, particularly law, human rights, education, communication and political science.
The selected candidate will acquire an array of benefits including an introduction to human rights dynamic in the West and Central Africa Region. The candidate will acquire familiarity with regional and local organizations. The volunteer will work with a wide range of people and will be involved in varied research and campaign work to make a difference in the fight for human rights in the region and globally.
We expect the successful candidate to meet the following requirements:
- Good IT working skills
- Fluent level of written and spoken English and French
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to manage a varied workload and work independently
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Willingness to undertake office work like photocopying, filing, archiving and other administrative tasks
- Background through study, work or other experience in a relevant area, such as law, international relations, political science or social sciences etc.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Interest in the West and Central Africa region
- Knowledge of or interest in law, history and politics
- Knowledge of campaigning organizations and AI’s work
- Experience in conducting research, including library, internet and other research
- Experience of working in a team
- Administrative experience, including manual and electronic filing
The successful candidate’s task list may include the following:
- Press monitoring and electronic filing: We daily monitor newspapers on the internet. Relevant articles are then filed electronically into databases with particularly important news items forwarded to the teams by email.
- Correspondence: the volunteer will be asked from time to time to answer general correspondence and to communicate with the Amnesty International (AI) membership by letter or email.
- Assisting in drafting and editing AI documents, consisting of both research and campaign documents and materials.
- Translating documents and correspondence from English to French and French to English.
- Conducting desk research and summarizing research material.
Conditions of role:
- Amnesty International – Dakar West and Central Africa Regional Office will provide a monthly allowance of 150,000 FCFA.
- Amnesty International – Dakar West and Central Africa Regional Office will not provide accommodation to interns but can provide assistance to non-Senegalese citizens in making accommodation arrangements.
Amnesty International is committed to creating and sustaining a working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential and we welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
- Stipend Provided