Visit and Advocate for People in Immigration Detention
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by CIVIC-Community Initiatives for Visiting Immigrants in Confinement
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
5555 Giant Highway
CIVIC (Community Initiatives for Visiting Immigrants in Confinement) is a national non-profit immigration detention visitation network, working to end U.S. immigration detention by monitoring human rights abuses, elevating stories, building community-based alternatives to detention, and advocating for system change.
We are seeking people to join a group of dedicated volunteers who visit people in immigration detention at the West County Detention Facility (also known as the Contra Costa County Jail) in Richmond, CA. You can learn more about immigration detention visitation on our website: http://www.endisolation.org/projects/visitation-programs
Volunteer tasks may include (but are not limited to):
- Visiting with individuals at the detention center, ideally on a weekly basis, to offer support and assistance
- Maintaining connections between them and their loved ones, whether local, domestic, or international
- Providing information about legal and other community services
- Reporting civil and human rights violations
- Helping people find post-release support
- Gathering and translating important case documents
- Bond fundraising
- Using a case management tool to track volunteer support and rights violations
- Discussing concerns or questions with the coordinator and other volunteers during informal "debriefs"
If you are interested, please email Rebecca at RMerton@EndIsolation.org or fill out the National Interest Form to be contacted.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
If you are interested, please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form to be contacted.