Volunteer Ecuador Galapagos Island Child Care with Abroaderview.org
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by A Broader View Volunteers Corp
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Child Care / Nursery in Santa Cruz:
Volunteer at a community run day care /nursery center in Santa Cruz. The children range in age from infants to 5 years old. There are approximately 100 children at this center daily. The program provides feeding and integral education to aid some of the poorest families on the island. Many of the children at this center have single mothers who cannot pay for day care while they are working. This is a safe haven for parents to take their children.
Project hours are 730am - 4 pm daily. Volunteers are provided lunch at the center. Volunteer tasks including changing diapers, upkeep duties at the facility, kitchen help, recreational and educational needs for the older children. This is a fast paced, active program with a lot of daily activity.
Program Length: 4 weeks Program Date: Flexible Start & End Date Work Schedule: 35-40 hours per work Accommodations: Host Family Meals: Yes, 3 meals a day Requirements: 18 years+ Conversational Spanish & comprehension Arrival Airport: Quito (Code: UIO)
Volunteering in the Galapagos Islands
We have social welfare programs, as well as environmental/conservations programs on the Islands. In Santa Cruz our social welfare programs will allow you to work with very small children, babies, toddler and also pre-school and higher education. On San Cristobal our environmental projects focus on sea turtle, marine iguana and sea lion conservation efforts.
For both projects volunteers begin and end their journey in Quito. You will spend the first 2 nights in Quito (with meals) receiving your program briefing and orientation. You will be provided roundtrip airline tickets to the islands and be escorted to the airport in Quito. Flight time is approximately 3 hours. Once on the Island you will be met by your host family at the airport and they will accompany you to their home. All transportation at the end of the program, back to Quito, including airfare, is included in the program fees.
The ABV Galapagos program include the following services:
- Airport meet and greet in Quito
- 2 night accommodation/meals in Quito
- Orientation, project briefing in Quito
- Airline ticket Quito to Galapagos
- Entrance fee ($100) Galapagos National Park
- Ingala ID card
- Meet and greet on Santa Cruz/San Cristobal
- Host family accommodation and 3 meals a day
- Volunteer project placement 35-40 hour per week
- Transfer to airport at end of program
- Airline ticket Galapagos to Quito
- Airport reception in Quito
- Final overnight/meals in Quito
- Departure transfer to Quito
Volunteers will not have any out of pocket expenses once in Ecuador for the program. Flights, park fees, and all transportation costs are included in program cost. Budget $200-$300 a month for incidental spending.
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Click here --> Please watch our Reservation video
- Prompt customer service answering your call and emails.
- Pre-departure Orientation Guide. Includes detailed travel, safety & cultural information and many tips that will make your trip planning easier.
- Detailed Fundraising Guide that will help you raise the funds needed to travel, as well as provide donations to the project.
- Accommodations: Home stay, shared volunteer residence, guesthouses. Safe, clean, comfortable local housing, inspected by our local coordinators.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Special meals at request.
- Airport meet and greet by our ABV project coordinator (At any time, any day!)
- First night hotel accommodation *some programs
- Guidance and support of a local project coordinator, 24/7 in case of emergency
- Orientation/city briefing on arrival by our Ω∫ABV project coordinator.
- Placement in a quality project, allowing you to maximize your time and efforts in a good cause.
- Transportation to project site only the first day with our ABV project coordinator. Includes introduction to local staff and community members with whom you will be working with.
- Volunteer Program: Half day (4 hours only) Spanish refresher Lesson. Part of volunteer orientation on arrival. (*Some countries)
- Departure transfer by our ABV project coordinator.
- A Feedback page on our ABV website with pictures of your trip.
- The Presidents Volunteer Service Award lapel pin (Bronze, Silver or Gold)
- Personalized Presidents Volunteer Service Award certificate of achievement.
- Letter of completion from A Broader View Volunteers Corp·· ··By request, A Letter of Recommendation provided by the local organization detailing the activities developed by the volunteer during his or her stay.
Fro more Questions and answers visit: https://www.abroaderview.org/faq
During the Program
You should be:
- PROACTIVE - Jump in and maintain a positive attitude.
- PATIENT - Life in your host country moves slower than one might be used to. Relax and enjoy the slow pace. Remember, not everything is as organized and predictable as life in the US or UK.
- FLEXIBLE - Plans change, roads get flooded, and electricity goes out. Realize that not everything goes as planned, but good intention is always there.
- CONSIDERATE – Respect those around you and be a reliable worker at the program site. Tell your host familyif you will be late. Advise the Project Coordinator if you are sick and can not work.
- RESPECTFUL - Remember that the local people you are working with, side by side, do so with little or no salary. They do this work because they believe in it. There are times when you may not agree with or understand the organizations decisions or direction. Although your suggestions are always welcome, your faith, respect and consideration for their long term work and commitment is appreciated.
- FRIENDLY - In order to truly help someone you must get to know them. Do not be afraid to make friends with the local people. Smile, wave and see how fast you are welcomed into the community.
- TOLERANT - The food, the culture, the smells and the sounds will be unfamiliar to you at first. We recommend that you dive in and experience life head-on. You will be surprised at how quickly you will adapt.
A Broader View Volunteers Corp
236 Glen Place Elkins Park, PA 19027
Toll Free: (866) 423 3258
215 780 1845 215 253 4512 (020) 812 397 81 (02) 800 368 07
A Broader View office is open 10am-4pm (ET) Monday to Friday.