A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
8804 Balboa Avenue
Financial Literacy Program
Goal of Position:
Concern and respect for the hard work and commitment of clients who struggle financially is at the heart of the program. Financial Literacy Instructors are designed to bring their expertise in order to assist families to budget and save, use bank accounts, and understand and manage their credit.
• Benefit in knowing that your time and talent are making a significant impact in the lives of families within your community.
• Ability to directly impact those individuals struggling financially by using your knowledge, expertise, and skills to provide financial advice and assistance.
• CRA credits available for banking professionals.
• Attend and lead financial literacy classes a minimum of twice a month. Each class is approximately two hours in length.
• Follow the JFS course curriculum that covers the topics of Budgeting & Saving, Checking Accounts, and Understanding & Managing credit
• Conduct two-hour workshops, engage attendees, and perform pre- and post- survey evaluations.
• Refer clients to work individually with a JFS Volunteer Money Coach as appropriate.
• Act as a liaison between programs at Jewish Family Service and the community.
• Ability to attend and present at scheduled financial literacy classes.
• Knowledge of finance, banking, automobiles, social work, public policy, or any other related field.
• Passion for JFS and commitment to helping families achieve self-sufficiency and financial literacy.
1. Must be able to provide own transportation to the JFS Joan & Irwin Jacobs Family campus or community-based courses as mutually established between volunteer and program coordinator.
2. Must be available to instruct evening classes.
3. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
• Three months to one year of service .
• Attendance at scheduled classes (two hours long), to be held at mutually agreed upon dates and times – two consecutive classes offered two days a month.
• Classes will most likely be 6-8 pm to accommodate working professionals.
Jewish Family Service
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123
Hand Up CARS Program Coordinator