Photographers/Movie Producers in Brazil
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Biodiversity Research Institute
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Estrada Iporanga – Apiaí, Km 6, Iporanga -SP - Brasil
About IPBio: The Biodiversity Research Institute (IPBio) is a place where research meets conservation. IPBio is a non-governmental, non-profit organization that develops and supports projects in environmental education and scientific research on biodiversity, ecology as well as on the behavior of species of fauna and flora of Brazilian ecosystems.
Read the volunteer package: http://ipbio.org.br/wp-content/uploads/Volunteer-Package-IPBio-Celine-13FINAL.pdf
Read our Newsletter: http://ipbio.org.br/wp-content/uploads/IPBio-Newsletter-2017.pdf
Visit our websitet http://ipbio.org.br/volunteer-with-us/?lang=en
Watch our Volunteer Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/obbioadm/playlists
Context: IPBio often uses cameras for research on wildlife and as a result our biologists developed a passion for photography and film-making. Our interest in the interplay of photography, research and education drove to the creation of OBBIO – Observatory for Biodiversity which captures footage aimed at producing eBooks, documentaries, education videos as well as using the images for research purposes. For example, our videos have been sold to Discovery Channel.
Check out our videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/obbioadm/playlists
This role varies on the specific skills of the volunteer and whether their interest is in photography, video producing or both.
- Best Shot Photography: this is aimed at taking high resolution photos and videos of wildlife in controlled conditions. For example, these images can then be used for our website, computer backgrounds or documentaries we produce. For this project, we collect flora and fauna and select their background settings (such as black background) and take images in controlled conditions.
- Wildlife Photography: this has no specific time allocation but volunteers applying for this role are expected to take shots of all wildlife on the reserve in their natural environment.
- OBBIO Image Bank: over the years we have collected, and continue to collect, images and videos of wildlife which are organized efficiently in our Image Bank. Volunteers can support in the organization of this footage
- Video-Producing: filming, editing and producing videos on topics such as our institution, monthly news. projects or volunteer program is always needed to keep people updated on what is going on at the reserve.
- Documentaries and Short Videos: we produce short educational videos for our Youtube channel on wildlife. In addition, we wish to produce our own documentaries so volunteers can support in these efforts as well.
Skills: The volunteer must have experience using at least a semi-professional camera for photography project. For movie-producing roles the volunteer should have experience editing videos. Volunteers who bring their own cameras/movie editing software will be prioritized.
Life at IPBio:
Our town is called the Cave Capital of Brazil so volunteers often visit our state parks to explore the caves. Hike into the dense forest and visits to waterfalls are also common activities. Bouy cross, big balloons, are used to drift down the rivers, some of the river route are 3 hours long! After work volunteers can swim on the reserve deck, organize dinners, watch movies, read and go wildlife watching. On the weekend we often have a barbeque or organize dinner at a restaurant. Often there are social events or parties in the community that volunteers can go to.
Accomodation and Living:
Volunteers will stay at the Darwin Guest House, situated on the reserve itself, which accommodates up to 14 people in 8 rooms. Two rooms are collective rooms and 6 rooms are single rooms. All rooms have air conditioning, closet space and electricity outlets. Individual rooms have a desk with a chair. The house has 4 bathrooms with hot showers, a washing machine and has a fully equipped kitchen where volunteers can cook. A cleaning lady provides basic cleaning services for public areas and will provide fresh bed linen once a week. However, it is also the volunteer’s responsibility to maintain and clean the house; we take this very seriously. Shops are located in the town of Iporanga 6km away from the reserve, which you can walk to or get a taxi, where there are various shops where you can by all the supplies you will need from groceries to toiletries. There is an organic small herb and vegetable patch volunteers can use in the gardens.
Requirements: You must speak either English or Portuguese at an intermediate level. You must be over 18.
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Email us your CV/resume and clearly state the position (or positions) you are intertested in to email@example.com and we will get in touch with our volunteer package containing further details! We respond to all applicants within a week so if you can´t find a response please check your spam folder a week after you apply.