Become a Tutor/Mentor to Chicago Youth!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Chicago Lights Tutoring Program, Fourth Presbyterian Church
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
126 E. Chestnut
Celebrating its 53rd year of service, Tutoring provides academic support to children living in under-resourced neighborhoods on the near north and west sides of Chicago. Each year, 400 children in 1st -12th grades are enrolled in the Tutoring Program and need an adult volunteer to encourage success through homework assistance and personal development.
The 2017-2018 Tutoring year began in October, however we add new volunteers all year long! You can volunteer in one of two ways:
Permanent, One-to-One Tutor/Mentor (Monday - Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- You pick one night that works best for you and commit to tutoring the same student that same evening each week.
- You meet with your student each week to enhance their education and school preparedness.
- The relationship you will build with your student provides limitless opportunities for you to offer encouragement that can have a positive impact on the student’s life for years to come.
Casual Substitute Tutor (Monday- Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- In this position, you simply come to the program when it is convenient for you and work with a student whose tutor was delayed at the last minute.
- This volunteer position is flexible and allows you to determine the time commitment that is appropriate for you. Substitute tutors are needed most evenings and are extremely helpful in providing support and homework help to a student who would have otherwise been without a tutor for the evening.
The Chicago Lights Tutoring Program runs from October-May, Monday-Thursday evenings.
How To Apply
Please attend one of our New Volunteer Orientation sessions to learn about the program and the volunteer opportunities available in more depth.
- Saturday, October 21, 10:30-11:30am
- Thursday, November 2, 6:00-7:00pm
- Wednesday, January 10, 6:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday, February 6, 6:00-7:00pm
- Monday, March 5, 6:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday, April 10, 6:00-7:00pm
Orientations will be held at The Gratz Center, Fourth Presbyterian Church
(126 E. Chestnut St. Chicago, IL 60611)
Please RSVP for one of the orientations by going to tutoringorientation2017.eventbrite.com or contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.274.3816 with any questions.