Youth Development Program Specialist - Boys and Girls Club Tucson - Americorps
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Arizona Serve
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Summer 2018 Service Opportunity
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson reaches more than 4,000 young people ages 7-17 annually at our six Clubhouse locations. All of our Clubhouses are located in Tucson’s most vulnerable communities. Along with navigating poverty and adversity, our Club Members experience a variety of complex challenges every day: from abuse and neglect, to addiction and violence. When they enter the Clubs for the first time, many of these young people struggle with defining a future vision for themselves that situates them as healthy, thriving and successful. Each Clubhouse is a safe space where Club Members can create lasting and meaningful connections with caring adults and positive peers. Building on that foundation, they can access educational and fun learning experiences that spark them to envision great futures for themselves, their families and their communities.
Summer Brain Gain is six weeks of fun, theme-based activities designed to mitigate summer learning loss for early and upper elementary, middle, and high school youth. Each Common Core aligned learning module provides engaging project-based activities, with an emphasis on math, literacy, and 21st century skills. Youth engage in learning through discovery, creative expression and collaborative group work that evolves into a final project or production. Ensuring that our Clubhouses are staffed by talented and dynamic professionals, like AmeriCorps members, enables us to keep thousands of young people constructively engaged, and away from crime, drugs and violence.
PROJECT FOCUS AREAS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Implement Curriculum: The member will plan implement weekly activities and programming following a lesson plan, while recruiting and retaining participants. The member will administer the Summer Brain Gain pre/post surveys.
B. Monitor Club Members: The member will support the Club Director and Program Director with the planning for and execution of all summer programming at the club assigned. This includes assisting with monitoring clubhouse areas during open hours.
Requirements and Benefits
Education, Skills and Abilities
· Some college
· Ability to work and communicate effectively with youth ages 7 – 17 years old
· Knowledge of developing curriculums and training plans
· Ability to present a variety of educational programs to youth
· Ability to work as a part of a dynamic team
· Responsible and punctual, with strong organizational skills
· Flexible, with creative problem-solving skills
· Positive attitude, self-directed, curious, and professional
· Reliable transportation required (car not required)
· Ability to meet qualifications to drive organization vans (at least 21 years old, valid drivers license with proof of a minimum of 3 years driving experience, acceptable driving record i.e. no DUI in the last five years, no more than 2 moving violations in the last three years, etc.) is highly preferred, but not required
AmeriCorps State Member Benefits (Summer Associate)
● AmeriCorps State Summer members receive a $2,000 living allowance during their term of service
● Upon completion of service, part-time (300 hour) AmeriCorps members receive a $1230.69 education award that can be applied to educational costs or student loans
● Members participate in 10 (2-hour) trainings that qualify them for a Certificate in Civic Leadership and 4 college credits from Prescott College
● Team support and coaching
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please download the AmeriCorps State application: HERE