A few hours per week
P.O. Box 545934
To ensure you receive a response for your application and continue receiving our emails for further communication, please add ''email@example.com” to your address book or safe list.
- This is an unpaid volunteer opportunity and Associates are expected to put in a minimum of 5 hours a week and be responsive to emails within two (2) calendar days.
- Associates must be willing to attend to weekly/bi-weekly meetings as and when required.
ABOUT THE EDUCATION GROUP
The Education Group is part of Save the Water™ (STW™ )’s Public Awareness efforts. We design educational materials to inform concerned citizens about water contamination and what they can do to help. Our content is distributed through the STW™ website and our Day in the Life of a Scientist (DILOS™ ) STEM Classroom Workshop. Through education, we aim to arm our readers to be agents of environmental and social change so that we may preserve our water sources for generations to come.
- Support the Education Group by assisting the design of water science curricula for Save the Water™’s “Day in the Life of a Scientist” (DILOS™) STEM Program.
- Create and design educational content for DILOS STEM curricula, specifically related to water science, preservation, conservation, and management.
- Write supporting documents like student worksheets and teaching scripts.
- Identify fun, interactive classroom activities that cover topics such as:
- Exploring science with children
- Universal design in science education
- Water pollution hotspots
- Water use and conservation
- Life in a drop of water
- Test and evaluate activities and demonstrations when necessary.
- Research topics on water contamination using credible sources.
- Catalog references and fact check sources.
- Assist Project Leader in brainstorming content for DILOS STEM curriculum.
- Assist DILOS STEM Operations Team in securing supplies when needed.
- Deliver project updates at monthly Education Group meeting.
- Demonstrated experience teaching STEM subjects as a classroom instructor or tutor
- Understanding of basic scientific equipment (e.g. microscopes, pH meter, test strips)
- Excellent content writing skills (grammar, punctuation, etc.) aimed at MS/HS students
- Background in STEM field (e.g. Environmental Science, Physical Sciences, Engineering, or other related field) and/or Education a plus
- Previous experience developing and creating STEM curricula for the classroom a plus
- Knowledge of Common Core and other state specific standards for STEM a plus
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and details simultaneously.
- Effective oral communication skills and ability to work cooperatively with staff.
- Innovative thinker who is passionate about our cause.
- Familiar with current school age trends.
- Current residence in Miami-Dade, Broward County, Florida preferred, but not necessary
- Continuous access to internet is required— as a virtual organization, we rely on multiple Google platforms (e.g. Gmail, Hangouts, Calendar, and Drive) to support our workflow and communication.
- Associates degree or equivalent experience (6 months to 1 year full time paid corporate/non - profit work experience)
- Availability during US Eastern Time Zone is preferred
How to apply:
Please include a 1-2 page writing sample that exemplifies your ability to teach an academic topic, preferably in a STEM field. This sample can be an excerpt from an essay or report. Educational materials produced for the classroom are a plus. Please submit the above along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you!
How To Apply
Keywords: Education, Website, STEM, Design, Water Environment, Science, Research