Development & Communications Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Brooklyn A (Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A)
260 Broadway, 2nd Floor
Do you want to:
- Feel valued as a skilled professional engaged in building a critical philanthropic arm of a social justice organization?
- Change lives by expanding the organization’s capacity to serve its clients and achieve justice?
- Gain experience and contacts in New York City’s legal services community?
- Become a respected and integral member of a team?
If you answered yes, then bring your skills and interest to Brooklyn A to help grow its development and communications department!
Established in 1968, Brooklyn Legal Services Corporation A (Brooklyn A) advances social and economic justice and community empowerment through innovative, collaborative, neighborhood-based legal representation and advocacy. We assist individuals, families, community-based organizations, and coalitions in sustaining and developing vibrant, healthy communities.
The Development and Communications Volunteer will work as a part of the Development and Communications Team and will assist in executing the annual Development Plan. This is an excellent opportunity to utilize and grow your skills in fundraising, communications and non-profit management.
This position is ideal for anyone, particularly recent college graduates, wishing to gain valuable professional experience and learn more about nonprofit development and communications. You don’t need a substantial background in the field, just be excited about our work and eager to learn!
Responsibilities of the Development and Communications Volunteer
- Develop resources to retain existing donors, recapture lapsed donors, cultivate new donors, and increase gift size.
- Help develop and execute Brooklyn A’s development and communications plan including, but not limited to, generating online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable results
- Support the grant proposal development and submission process—ensuring that proposals, reports and other documents are well written, strategic, and submitted on schedule.
- Assist in creating and executing a strategy for a large, sustained base of individual giving.
- Assist in planning Brooklyn A's upcoming 50th Anniversary Gala!
Who Should Apply?
- Experience fundraising for local affinity groups, or an interest in learning about them
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as a team player
- Strong writing and organization skills, as well as creativity
- The ability to multitask, handling logistics, and following through on multiple projects simultaneously
- Microsoft Office skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Graphic design and/or media production sills are a plus!
- A desire to gain direct experience in and learn more about the nonprofit world!
- Training Provided