Can you, handle the money with high standards and set a tone of integrity?
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by H.Y.P.E. to Empower, Inc.
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1530 DeKalb Avenue Northeast
About the organization:
H.Y.P.E. to Empower, Inc. aims to transform the lives of children, youth, young adults, families, and communities living with HIV. H.Y.P.E.’s targeted population are HIV positive children, youth, and young adults between the ages of 13-30 years old, and their families affected by HIV.
Our comprehensive and relevant inactivates involve community services, HIV-education, academic education, counseling, medical, social, and professional support, and self and social empowerment.
In addition to our direct services for HIV positive individuals and communities, we also aim to provide our skills and expertise to persons, groups, organizations, and businesses who wish to utilize the HYPE model in targeting areas where they want to make a difference.
- Financial knowledge of the organization.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Treasurer.
- Understanding of financial accounting for nonprofit organizations.
- Serves as Chair of the Finance Committee.
- Work with directors and board on all organizations grants to ensuring the best budget for the organization's grant.
- Manages, with the Finance Committee, the Board’s review of, and activities related to, the Board’s financial responsibilities.
- Works with the Executive Director to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the Board on a timely basis.
- Assists the Executive Director in preparing the annual budget, and presenting the budget to the Board for approval.
- Works with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop Fiscal Policies for recommendation to the Board to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization.
- Works with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies.
- Keeps currently informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the Board’s financial responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in finance, accounting, business or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in an accounting, treasury or finance environment
- Good spreadsheet and database skills.
- Strong organizational, critical thinking and customer service skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Oracle knowledge desirable.
The treasurer is required to attend all scheduled meetings and actively seek to maintain current knowledge of the organization, its programs, bylaws, and articles of incorporation. The treasurer is required to have knowledge of nonprofit accounting practices, nonprofit tax laws, and fiscal record-keeping.
Accounts and Expenditures
Bylaws usually provide for the treasurer to be one of two officers authorized to sign checks or granted access to bank and credit accounts. Treasurers have full knowledge of all organization holdings and assets. Treasurers review monthly account records and monitor income and expenditures. The treasurer also reviews financial reports from organization staff or directly prepares such reports if the organization has no administrative staff.
The treasurer prepares reports to the board detailing income, expenditures and asset values. The treasurer presents a financial report at each board meeting and also prepares and presents the annual financial and audit report to the board. Board officers and members rely on financial reports to guide decisions in all areas of governance. The treasurer prepares special financial reports addressing proposed plans for large expenditures.
The treasurer is chair of the finance committee. The finance committee is charged with developing the organization's fiscal policies and procedures and developing the budget. The committee oversees annual audits and reviews the audit report.
How To Apply
- Submit a cover letter
- The application file name should read: First name Last name - Fundraising Guru
Submit to For faster response, please send your interest to:
- LaMar Yarborogugh: email@example.com
We also ask that you look out for emails address with the first Name.Last firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
We strongly support inclusiveness and encourage immigrants, refugees, LGBTQ+, individuals with (disabilities, and traditionally marginalized communities to apply.