Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Are you one who enjoys working with your hands and making repairs? Do you like making things work like new again? Do you find satisfaction in a job well done?
Consider being a part of our maintenance team that cares for the facilities and equipment at JAARS so we can help make Bible translation and language development possible.
- This is a 20 to 40 hour per week position for a volunteer or a staff person who raises support
- Must be able to work in the US
Perform various basic maintenance repairs and tasks in buildings and grounds.
- Perform basic tasks and preventative maintenance
- Apply basic fixes and repairs to equipment and building systems
- Repair machines, equipment, or structures
- Conduct routine inspections and troubleshoot equipment and systems
- Check electrical wiring to identify issues
- Collaborate with workers and other professionals on projects
- Report issues found to the maintenance manager
- Complete and record job tickets daily
- Be reliable, with a keen eye for detail
- Demonstrate a deep and growing walk with the Lord Jesus that includes your personal growth and the ability to support others in their spiritual growth
- Embrace the vision, mission, and core values of JAARS, and help us live them effectively
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Proven maintenance experience
- Skilled in using hand and electrical tools
- Basic knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems
- Ability to read blueprints/drawings and repair manuals
- Good organizational, time management, and follow up skills
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
JAARS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry headquartered on a beautiful 500+ acre campus just south of Charlotte, NC. Our campus includes extensive training facilities, an airport, office and commercial facilities, guest housing, food services, recreational areas, health clinic, on-site childcare, and youth and family ministry support for staff and partners.
We are pleased to have more than five hundred people serving on our campus. We partner closely with SIL International, the organizations of the Wycliffe Global Alliance and other organizations locally and globally.
JAARS vision is that people’s lives and communities are transformed as they experience God’s Word in their own language.
JAARS mission is to make Bible translation and language development possible, especially in the most remote and difficult places on earth. We do that by enabling locally appropriate and sustainable solutions in transportation, technology, media, and training.
JAARS Core Values
Together in Christ, we commit to:
1. Seek God Above All
2. Serve in Love
3. Act with Integrity
4. Steward God’s Resources with Courage
5. Pursue Excellence
6. Collaborate with Respect
7. Create a Culture of Innovation
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
How To Apply
- Proof of health insurance
- Be self-supported, or receive funds through another organization
- Ages 14–17 may serve if accompanied by a responsible adult
- Agreement with our Statement of Faith
A variety of short-term to one-year, on-campus, fully-furnished housing units are usually available for rent for volunteers who serve a minimum of 40 hours per week per couple, or 20 hours per week per single. Units include phones, WiFi, kitchens, bedding, and towels. An RV park with hookups is also available. Call Housing for pricing and to make reservations. 704.843.6020
Volunteers may serve from two weeks to many years. The types of positions available to you will depend on your abilities and especially, the length of your stay. For IT positions, a month of service is required. Longer-term volunteers are important in positions that require task continuity, training, or certifications.