Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Macomb's Dam Park
South Bronx United is seeking energetic and committed volunteer coaches with a passion for youth development and soccer to coach in its youth recreational soccer league. Rec League Coaches work with one team of girls and/or boys within the league during Fall and/or Spring Seasons. Coaches run short practices and manage games for youth that compete against the other teams within the SBU league, which consists of 9 age groups and 62 teams. Coaches not only share the joy of playing the sport, but also reinforce the values that sport helps develop (teamwork, discipline, respect, etc).
- Coaches volunteer at a set 1.5-2 hour time slot between 9am-5pm. The time slot is dependent on the age group being coached.
- The Fall season runs from early September through late November
Where: (Coaches are only required to be at one site)
- Macomb's Dam Field: 161st St between River and Jerome Avenues. The field is on the South side of Yankee Stadium across from Gate 4.
- Mullaly Park: Jerome Avenue at 165th Street. Park is on the north side of Yankee Stadium
- Patterson Playground: 445 College Ave
- Coaches must be able to commit to being present for at least a 1.5 hours every Saturday (excluding holiday weekends) during the season.
- One season commitment minimum, but two seasons is preferred.
- Coaches should understand they will be the point person for contact with families and players and willing to make phone calls home to ensure plays are aware of games/other important news.
Qualifications: Previous soccer knowledge is not required, but enthusiasm for working with children is a necessity.
Training: We will provide volunteers with orientation materials, coaching training, and a coaching manual. A formal orientation/ training will be held prior to each season. Coaches will be assigned to age groups (age 4-19) based on experience, availability, and preference.
Benefits: In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow under-resourced youth the opportunity to participate in an organized sport, coaches will have opportunities for professional coaching trainings and will be connected to a network of caring volunteers for fun soccer related events throughout the year
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To fill out an application or learn more about this opportunity, visit us at: SBU - rec coach
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
For more information: www.southbronxunited.org