A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1400 Scott Ave
The Front Desk Volunteer is the first face and voice of the Hospitality House of Charlotte (HHOC) that guests and visitors will see and speak with when they arrive at or call into HHOC. The Front Desk Volunteer needs to be warm, friendly, and helpful while respecting the needs, privacy and burdens of our guests and visitors. There are also many visitors who come to the house for tours or to volunteer their valuable time. We want to ensure that the Front Desk makes everybody feel welcome.
· Volunteer should be able to volunteer once a month at a minimum, but preferred if you can volunteer weekly as much as possible.
· Front Desk Volunteers are needed seven days a week, as well as on Holidays and evenings (HHOC remains open 365 days a year).
· Shift times are: (Hours can be shorter if needed within these time frames.)
9am – 1pm
1pm – 5pm
5pm – 9pm
· Answer general questions from visitors, guests, or callers about HHOC; provide tours of House to new guests or visitors
· Utilize various forms of technology to assist office staff (i.e. operating our front door access system, making guest room key cards, send faxes, scheduling Day Guests Appointments with web based schedule system, printing off emailed referrals, etc.)
- Our Front desk volunteer position is very technology focused
· Answer the phone and direct calls to the proper staff member, if necessary
· Greet each guest returning to the home as well as new guests; ensure that Front Desk area is warm, tidy and inviting
· Look for ways to assist guests (i.e. opening the door for them, being aware if they need help with luggage, offering cart for items etc.)
· Call hospital security to arrange transportation for guests
· Provide area information by researching on internet if necessary and printing needed information
· Ensure that visitors and day guests sign in and complete necessary paperwork and procedures
· Distribute donation receipts for in-kind gifts
· Assist office staff with various office tasks, when needed (i.e. copying, scanning, faxing, assembling Check-In Packets, making phone calls, assisting with data collection for reports, etc.)
· Check volunteer calendar for awareness of volunteer groups for the day; welcome volunteer groups and assist group with any requests or questions they may have; provide house tours to volunteer groups.
· Call families on our daily waitlist to confirm guest room availability; notate conversation summary on waitlist to ensure information is passed along to next shift
· Check in guests arriving to the HHOC for overnight accommodations by having guests fill out the required paperwork and provide House tours for new guests
· Check out guests who are leaving the HHOC and ensure that proper procedures and paperwork is completed
· Schedule Day Guest appointments over the phone and ensure that new Day Guests fill out the proper paperwork and provide a tour for new Day Guests
· Help complete miscellaneous tasks or projects requested by office staff
· Must be 18 or older
· Must be willing to make a 6-month minimum commitment to volunteering
· Must consent to a background check
· Comfortable using various forms of technology
· Show kindness to guests who may be in a hurry, concerned about a loved one, and stressed
· Good communication skills (verbal and written)
Attend a one-time Prospect Volunteer Orientation, complete a background check (paid by HHOC), shadow for a minimum of two shifts with experienced volunteer or until New Volunteer is comfortable enough to perform tasks on their own.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please visit the Hospitality House website and click on the volunteer application which can be found under the Volunteer tab at the top of the homepage. Feel free to reach out to Bryn Knudson for any further questions or help at firstname.lastname@example.org.