A few hours per week
50 Cooper Square
GO Project: Who We Are and What We Do
The GO Project shapes the futures of low-income New York City public school children by providing critical academic, social and emotional support starting in the early elementary years. GO provides year-round educational and family support services to children who are performing below grade level and equips them with the confidence and skills needed to succeed at school, at home and in life.
GO School Programming: How YOU Can Help
GO School is a focused, seven-month Saturday program with a staff of certified teachers and skilled volunteer tutors. Students attend on Saturdays between October and April for a half-day of focused academic skill-building. Professional teachers lead lessons, support volunteer tutors, and communicate with parents to keep them informed about their child’s progress. Volunteer tutors commit to a semester of volunteering in a classroom and mentor their students to provide consistent and individualized needed to succeed.
Volunteer translators provide critical communication support between our GO families and our staff. Interpreters are responsible for translating English into Chinese (both Cantonese and Mandarin) in order for our program to communicate with our families regarding program updates and their child’s academic & social-emotional progress/needs.
Specific Translator duties will include:
· Complete written translation of documents for the GO Project.
· Support with family outreach as needed.
· Provide interpretation for our families via phone or in office meetings, including any cultural/linguistic references that may need to be explained.
· Maintain our families’ right to confidentiality.
This position would require a commitment of 8 weekday hours (either 1 full day or two half days) between Tuesday to Friday.
You would report to our main office 50 Cooper Square 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10003.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Interest in strength-based collaborative work, education and social services.
· Ability to speak Chinese (both Cantonese and Mandarin preferred)
· Prior experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation is a plus.
The ideal candidate is exceptionally intelligent, warm, engaging and energetic. He or she also:
· Sees the possibilities as opposed to the obstacles and is creative and tenacious in solving problems.
· Enjoys working with others in a collaborative, creative environment.
· Has a strong work ethic and high standards for his/her own work and the work of others; is flexible and has a lively sense of humor.
How To Apply
How to Apply
- Application Form
- Cover Letter/Personal Statement explaining why you want to volunteer with the GO Project
- Resume (for volunteers 18 and older)/ High school transcript (for HS students)
- Personal reference
- Background check (for those 18 and older
If interested, please fill out the online form at: https://goo.gl/forms/iGs9YOzEUsNCujrk2 . The online application form can also be found on the GO Project website: goprojectnyc.org under “Get Involved” and “Volunteer Opportunities.”
If you have any questions or would like more information about the available volunteer positions, please contact email@example.com or call 212-533-3744 ATTN: Olivia Nunez, Senior Director of Community Engagement.