A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Legal Hand Crown Heights
250 Kingston Ave
Legal Hand, a community legal resource center with storefront centers in Crown Heights, Brownsville, Jamaica, Highbridge, and Tremont is seeking volunteers!
At Legal Hand, our trained community volunteers provide free legal information, assistance and referrals to help community members resolve issues that affect their lives, in areas like housing, family law, immigration, divorce, domestic violence and benefits. Volunteers operate out of easy-to-find, neighborhood storefront centers in Crown Heights and Brownsville, Brooklyn, Highbridge and Tremont, Bronx, and Jamaica, Queens. Legal Hand is run by the Center for Court Innovation in collaboration with three legal services providers: The Legal Aid Society, Legal Services NYC, and New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG).
Legal Hand Volunteers provide legal information, assistance, and referrals from the storefront offices. Volunteers play an important role in Legal Hand's mission to improve access to justice in low-income communities by directing people with civil legal problems to effective resources and ensuring they know their rights in a given situation. Volunteers are trained at no cost, learning valuable advocacy and legal skills. Legal Hand volunteers come from all backgrounds and walks of life— from college students to retirees, and no experience in legal work is necessary. Volunteers will be paid a stipend of $15 per shift to cover transportation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete trainings in a variety of legal issue areas, including immigration, family law, housing, benefits, and employment
- Assist residents with variety of legal issues by completing intake, filling out and filing paperwork
- Track client information in computer database consistently and accurately
- Conduct outreach to advertise the program
- Ability to commit to a minimum of 3 hours per week in our office for minimum of 6 months
- Must be 18 and over
- Must have strong computer literacy and comfort
- Must speak fluent English; ability to speak Spanish a plus but not required
- Interest in public interest law and community organizing
- Desire to help members of the community resolve their problems
- Knowledge of NYC benefits a plus
For more information, or with any questions, please contact Hannah Margolin at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (718) 619-4248.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Legal Hand Crown Heights will be holding two volunteer info sessions in September - please come to one of them to learn more about becoming a volunteer:
September 12, 2018 from 6-7pm
September 13, 2018 from 1-2pm
Both information sessions will be held at Legal Hand, 250 Kingston Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11213.
To RSVP, for more information, or with any questions, please contact Hannah Margolin at email@example.com or at (718) 619-4248. You can also RSVP here.
If you'd like to apply to volunteer at our Brownsville, Jamaica, Highbridge, or Tremont locations, call or email to be connected to the relevant Volunteer Coordinator.