Working with Deaf and Disabled People
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Volunteers Initiative Nepal (Empowering Marginalised Communities)
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
VIN’s Working with Deaf and Disabled people volunteer program aims to give the disabled people of Nepal a better shot at quality education. For too long now Nepal’s educational system has neglected the special needs of these kind of people who end up dropping out of school due to the lack of attention that has been given to them. VIN aims to provide deaf schools with volunteers like you, who may be a part of the advancing literacy program that is being established.
PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
Project: Deaf Education
Program: Working with deaf and disabled
Start Dates: 1st and 15th of each month
Language Requirements: English (Basic Nepali is provided)
Food and Accommodation: Nepali Standard at host family in the working community
Key Activities: literacy program with the goal of teaching English reading and writing skills to deaf children in Nepal, help more deaf adults get into college and to put more deaf teachers in deaf schools
Working Hours: 6 hours a day
Required Qualifications and Skills: Individuals with fluent sign-language skills are needed to help tutor deaf teachers. Participants with little to no signing abilities are also needed to help facilitate the program.
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
- Complete this online Application form;
- Attach your updated resume/curriculum vitae (CV) with two referee's contact details(refarances can be for your work/university/family);
- Await confirmation from VIN for acceptace;
- VIN will confirm payment and send pre depature pack online;
- Full payment for the volunteer placement should be paid during your induction.