The Blockchain &Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking for a passionate volunteer who takes a methodological approach to their work and play a leading role in conducting independent research and analysis, engaging with key stakeholders and establishing strategic partnerships to progress the BCI’s core mission. Driving the end-to-end research process, conducting both independent research and support to members of working groups, publish research, produce briefing material for speeches and presentations for clients and external conferences; and turn actions into impacts to shape climate policy on a global platform.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To supervise Research Officers in the provision of research support for members of working groups in areas such as renewable energy, emissions trading, forest monitoring, natural resource management, and circular economy etc.
- To provide technical and strategic leadership for analytical research, and set the agenda for research across the organisation;
- To generate opportunities for strategic research or knowledge partnerships;
- To contribute across the organisation as an active senior manager;
- To anticipate and respond to the organisation’s tactical and strategic business support needs;
- To manage Research Division’s time budget in an effective way to deliver organisational objectives; and
- To attend conferences and events to promote the BCI, communicate research findings and insights via Powerpoint decks and engage with key stakeholders.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent English writing skills and detail orientated;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to balance competing demands under pressure;
- Well-developed understanding of the priorities, operation and strategy of relevant funding bodies as evidenced by a track record of funded research;
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present ideas appropriately and persuasively;
- Ability to deliver successful outcomes from large scale, long term thematic research;
- Ability to combine and integrate the skills and expertise of highly motivated staff into multi-disciplinary teams, developing and building upon existing collaborations as well as creating/facilitating new opportunities;
- Ability to engage a range of internal and external stakeholders to collaborate in identifying problems and appropriate solutions, within agreed timetables and budgets;
- Effective monitoring and decision-making skills to implement corrective action if a research activity is in difficulty;
- Strong personal values for committed and collaborative leadership;
- High levels of professional judgement in choosing analysis pathways that give rapid, high quality, actionable results;
- Influential and credible. Fluent and engaging in conveying the value in research findings and programmes; and
- Aptitude in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish (desirable).
General & Specialist Knowledge:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office;and
- Strong depth of knowledge on topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance, blockchain technology and artificial intelligence preferred.
Education & Training:
- A relevant degree or training in academic research skills preferred; and
- Experience in producing research outputs and structured reports for different audiences.
- Proven ability in organisation/business development (e.g. experience of working in a target-driven role);
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative;
- Experience in designing, planning and facilitating independent research and the ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Successful and sustained leadership that is evidenced internationally;
- Experienced in cross disciplinary research initiatives and collaboration;
- Proven experience of managing staff and their performance;
- Demonstrable track record in strategic and operational management and planning;
- Experience of financial planning and resource allocation;
- Experience of leading and successfully initiating and implementing change;
- Leadership and management capability to achieve section outcomes;
- Evidenced ability to build strategic capacity in teams.