Assistant Program Officer in Division of International Liaison –International Standard of Small Hydro Power
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by International Center on Small Hydro Power
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
International Center on Small Hydro Power
International Center on Small Hydro Power, 136 Nanshan Road
Assistant Programme Officer – *for “SHP International Standard/Guidelines Development and Launching” Project*
About International Center on Small Hydro Power
International Center on Small Hydro Power (ICSHP) is a public and non-profit institution directly under auspices of United Nations Industrial and Development Organization (UNIDO), China’s Ministry of Water Resources and Ministry of Commerce. ICSHP serves as the headquarters of the International Network on Small Hydro Power (INSHP), which is an international organization with more than 400 members from 78 countries.
International Cooperation in Green Hydropower
Small hydropower plays an important role in electricity supply, poverty alleviation, environmental protection, and promotion of rural economic and social development. The standards for small hydropower were created as a guide to regulate the development of small hydropower.
ICSHP is currently carrying out the “SHP International Standard/Guidelines Development and Launching”, an initiative supported by UNIDO and MWR of China, for the regulation of small hydropower developments worldwide and promotion of international cooperation. These set of Standard/Guidelines will evaluate the planning, design, electromechanical equipment, construction, operation and management, environmental and economic assessment of small hydropower plants, among others.
There is an opportunity for one self-motivated team player to join the World Small Hydropower Development Report Secretariat based at ICSHP and to support the ongoing research and publication process. Since the report secretariat communicates globally also with francophone and Spanish-speaking countries, additional language skills are desirable.
Tasks may include
· Follow-up research for the publication (e.g. focus on policy or technical capacity or financing)
· Updating existing country/regional standards for small hydropower in world wide
· Division support (e.g. project proposals, seminar organization, website publications)
· Editing/translating/proofreading reports and documents.
· Maintaining contact with contributors, partners and network members
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) with a minimum of one year working experience in one of the following areas: hydropower, environmental, renewable energy, engineering, economics or other related fields.
· Native English speaker (preferably with moderate level of Chinese)
· Ability to work autonomously and research
· Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time
· Excellent communication skills to maintain relations with network members or other international institutions
· Excellent computer skills
· Other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Russian an asset)
· Editing, translation and proof-reading experience
Salary and Visa Information
The role here is classified as ‘voluntary’. Applicants will therefore have to apply for the “F” visa generally. Here at the ICSHP, whilst we cannot influence the outcome of any visa decision, we do provide administrative support for your application.
The successful candidate will be provided, in return for full time hours (8.30-16.30 Monday to Friday) the following:
· Free and secure accommodation at the center with cooking facilities
· One free meal Monday to Friday
· Basic pocket money to meet additional needs (3,000 RMB/month)
It is important that given the voluntary nature of the position that any applicants have the necessary finance to purchase the flight and obtain the “F” visa as the center does not reimburse these costs.
Length of contract is for 6 months initially (with the possibility to extend).
Preferred starting date: June/July 2018
- Stipend Provided
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their CV along with a cover letter via email to
Mr. Karol Zientek - firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview/written examination.
Please note that applications will be screened on a daily basis and the post may be filled before the advertisement's closing date.