Urgently needed: interpreter Arabic/ Farsi/ French!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Boat Refugee Foundation
Do you speak Arabic, Farsi or French?
And are you able to handle emotionally difficult situations?
The Boat Refugee Foundation is looking for volunteers who can interpret in French, Arabic or Farsi for our medical mission and psychosocial support mission in Greece.
Moria camp on Lesvos is overcrowded. The situation is tragic: many people living in insecure and inhumane conditions. This causes a lot of stress and psychological problems. The Boat Refugee Foundation offers psychosocial and medical care to the refugees.
Regarding the medical mission, as an interpreter you’ll function as a tool between the doctor and the patiënt. This is both during consultations and outside the medical cabin, where people explain for which reason they would like to see a doctor. When it comes to the psychosocial activities you will interpret for example our workshops about emotional wellbeing and stress relief, during which also topics like suicidal thoughts and panic attacks are discussed. The workshops handle difficult subjects and the medical consultations can be emotionally strenuous for you as an interpreter. Therefore, we ask for a high level of sensitivity, professionality and stability.
Shifts are during the day and at night.
Are you interested and available for at least two weeks? Go to our website and fill out the application form: https://bootvluchteling.nl/en/volunteering/interpreter/
- For this vacancy you need to be able to communicate fluently in Arabic, Farsi or French. Our volunteers have different nationalities, and our main language for communication is English. It is necessary you master English at a minimum level of B1, to ensure you can interpret to English without trouble.
- A psychosocial background is not required, but it is an big advantage.
- It is important to be aware that you will encounter difficult stories. You are able to recognize the refugee’s personal boundaries, but you are also able to address difficult issues.
- You interpret accurately and professionally. Your interpretation is complete and exhaustive, without leaving information out. You are aware that your job is to interpret the entire message and not to take your own decisions in this respect.
- You are stable and balanced, and you are emotionally and physically healthy. You are aged between 23 and 60.
What do we expect from you
- You are independent and flexible.
- You are motivated to help people in refugee camp to move forward.
- You can work well together in a team.
- You are open to evening and night shifts, and you cope well with little sleep.
- You cope well with emotional and confrontational situations, and you know how to separate work from your personal life.
- You are available at least two weeks. We prefer volunteers who are available for three weeks or more.
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Do you want to apply? Please fill out our application form online: https://bootvluchteling.nl/en/volunteering/interpreter/