Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2770 Third Avenue
Masa is a non-profit organization that promotes academic attainment, civic engagement, and leadership among underserved children and families, with a particular focus on New York City’s Mexican community.
Masa Youth Group is a weekly group for youth, ages 13 to 18 years old in the Mott Haven community. The purpose of the Youth Group is to build positive identities and a strong sense of self; Provide a safe space for youth to gather and be supportive of each other; and build a strong sense of community and create a culture of giving back.
At Masa Youth Group, members participate in teambuilding activities that build a positive sense of self and bring the group together; Community service projects that strengthens our community in Mott Haven; in addition to monthly trips that help us share in a recreational environment.
The ideal Masa Youth Group Tutor Volunteer is a dynamic, bilingual (Spanish/English) person who is eager to learn more about positive youth development, especially with middle school and high school youth. We are looking specifically for tutors in the areas of Algebra, Global History and English Writing.
The volunteer’s responsibilities include to provide support during program implementation, including:
• Greeting students upon arrival to program
• Directing students to assigned meeting area
• Supporting academic growth in one of the areas listed above
• Preparing material necessary to facilitate Masa Youth Group tutoring sessions
• Promoting a healthy environment for students during Masa Youth Group tutoring sessions
Your time can make an immense difference in our students’ lives.
Volunteer must be willing to come to Masa the following times: Tuesday: 4:45PM - 7:15 PM (early start at 4:00 PM also a possibility if available)
• Have a passion for working with youth
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
• Comfortable in youth group setting
• Understanding in Algebra, Global Studies or English Writing
• Ability to facilitate a small group
• Proficiency in Spanish is extremely helpful
How To Apply
Fill out our volunteer interest form or email email@example.com.