Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
About our organization:
We believe in women empowering themselves through language and technology. Based at the Hopes-Sitti Women’s Center and with the support of Hopes for Women in Education, a nonprofit registered in Canada in Jordan, we coordinate and support online language-exchange sessions between Palestinian refugee women learning English and young women learning Arabic in universities across the U.S., Canada, & Europe. We also provide weekly English classes for women in the camp, taught by expatriate volunteers, and will soon be launching a Pathways to Employment Initiative as well as professional development courses.
About the position:
Banaat Connect is seeking English Teaching Assistants for a fall-winter commitment at our Center in Jordan. The ETA will help teach free adult education English courses to female refugees in the Camp as teachers, co-teachers, or assistants at the pre-beginning, beginning, intermediate, or advanced English as a Second Language level.
Volunteers gain valuable experience in a multicultural environment, learn about issues in adult education for female refugees, and make a lasting impact in the lives of their students. Curriculum, training, and support are provided for all volunteers.
- Attend and assist in weekly English classes at least once per week.
- Assist Program Director and Curriculum Development Intern to develop content for the courses as needed
- Perform other administrative duties and assisting at events for the organization as needed.
- Previous experience in education and lesson planning is not required.
- Previous experience in nonprofit work preferred.
- Previous experience in Arabic and the Middle East is highly recommended.
- High energy self-starter.
- Passion for nonprofit work, especially as it relates to women’s empowerment, education, and refugee aid.
Volunteers must live in-country and commute to our location at the Gaza Refugee Camp in Jerash, Jordan.
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.