The Boat Refugee Foundation medical team works in Moria refugee camp on Lesvos where thousands of people reside for often long periods of time. Their situation feels and is often hopeless due to the poor circumstances in the camp. Many basic facilities are inadequate and there is severe overcrowding. To be able to properly work here knowledge of these circumstances and its effects such as desperation and sometimes aggression are necessary.
The team works seven days a week in evening and night shifts from a medical post in a cabin in the camp. As a volunteer you do primary care and first aid consultations. The patients are primarily from the Middle East, other parts of Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. The complaints vary strongly: from flu-like symptoms and simple problems to severely ill patients and acute psychological complaints.
What do we expect from you?
- You are between 23 and 60 years of age.
- You can stand your ground and are physically and mentally healthy.
- You are fluent in English (command of other languages such as Arabic, Farsi or French is advantageous).
- You cope well with emotional and confrontational situations, and you are able to separate work from your personal life.
- You are an independent worker, but also know the boundaries of your capabilities and when to ask for help.
- You are flexible and work well in a team.
Who do we welcome to the medical team on Lesvos?
- General practitioners / family doctors (in training)
- Tropical doctors (in training)
- Psychiatry residents/registrars
- ER doctors (in training)
- Paediatricians (in training)
- Surgeons (in training)
- Internists (in training)
- ICU doctors (in training)
- Specialized/experienced in ER, ICU or ambulance care
- Psychiatric/mental health nurses
- Experienced in refugee camp work
Unfortunately we do not require:
- Doctors/nurses without a current registration
- Medical / nursing students
Interested? Fill out the application form on our website: https://bootvluchteling.nl/en/volunteering/volunteer-medical-mission/
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
You can apply via the application form on our website.