Marketing and Communications Intern at Peruvian Social Enterprise
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Awamaki
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Calle del Horno 618
Join our intern team! Check out our flyer here for more information.
Awamaki creates lasting impact in the Andean mountains of Peru by helping rural women’s associations launch successful small businesses that create authentic, high-quality textiles and knits. Awamaki invests in women’s skills, connects them to global markets and supports their leadership so they can increase their income and transform their communities.
Comprised of a Peruvian Asociación Civil and a U.S. 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Organization, Awamaki consists of three main projects: Fair Trade artisan cooperatives, sustainable tourism operations, and rural community education. Though a non-profit, Awamaki uses market strategies to accomplish its philanthropic goals of increasing women’s opportunities for income and leadership.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS POSITION DESCRIPTION
If you’re looking for an international opportunity to utilize your skills while also empowering women in rural communities, Awamaki could be the place for you.
Our interns play an essential role, as their work makes an enormous difference in our programs and in the lives of our women. Interns have the opportunity to gain essential experience in business administration, fair trade, social enterprise, ethical sourcing and design, marketing & communications, and non-profit management.
As a Marketing and Communications Intern, you would be expected to:
- Create visual and written stories about Awamaki’s artisans, to be shared on our social media platforms and blog outlets.
- Interview women’s cooperative members, volunteers, and tourists about their experience with Awamaki’s programs and take photos of those experiences.
- Create infographics and social media strategies and manage accordingly to increase client traffic to Awamaki's social enterprise programs.
- Develop strategies and guides to increase traffic to Awamaki social media, website, and online store. Opportunity to use SEO and Google analytics.
- Design printed materials featuring our handmade artisan products, tour packages, and Fair Trade fashion line for use on our site, in our store, or and at trade shows.
- Market outreach to potential partners for tourism, sales, volunteers, blogs and potential partner websites.
- Use monitoring and evaluation data to create reports and tell stories for donors and funders.
- Manage projects as assigned by Awamaki’s Marketing and Communications Coordinator with creativity, initiative, and self-direction.
- Work 2-3 shifts a minimum of 6 – 9 hours per week/weekend in Awamaki's fair trade store in Ollantaytambo, Fridays are always free.
Homestays, language lessons and cultural activities available for interns. Depending on the length of stay, interns pay a fee that covers homestay, orientation, activities and language lessons. Volunteers and interns who stay longer than six months get most of their fee back, except that which covers the cost of their orientation and homestay.
An ideal candidate for this position would possess the following qualities:
- Have experience in Marketing and Communications
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Cloud and Wordpress
- Background in journalism or photojournalism
- Work well with lots of autonomy and be able to design projects
- Spanish and English proficiency strongly preferred
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply directly here and send resume. For design, send portfolio. For marketing, send applicable examples of work.
- Upon receiving your application and resume, we will contact you to arrange an interview via Skype with the relevant Program Coordinator(s).
For more information about Awamaki programs and volunteer fees, visit www.awamaki.org/volunteer or our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/awamaki. For any questions about volunteering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your application and thank you for your interest in economically and socially empowering Andean women in Peru!