Change a Life. Change Your Life. Become a Mentor!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Catholic Big Sisters & Big Brothers
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
137 East 2nd Street
Founded in 1902, the mission of Catholic Big Sisters Big Brothers is to address the social, emotional and academic challenges facing youth living in New York City’s low-income neighborhoods by providing one-to-one community based mentoring services supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support and referral assistance. We seek to improve the lives of children of all faiths, empowering them to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential as self-sufficient adults.
Many of CBSBB’s Littles are youth from first-generation and/or low-income families. Our mentees face poverty, a shortage of practical skills, and a lack of exposure to opportunities in NYC. Bigs who serve with CBSBB make a difference in the lives of their Littles! 92% of CBSBB 12th grade students graduate high school and 83% of CBSBB high school graduates enter college or a job training program, compared to 50% of their peers.
Hundreds of families seek our services each year - we can’t serve them without volunteers like you!
A Match is…
- The relationship between a Big (volunteer mentor) and a Little (mentee)
- Bigs serve as positive role models and friends who help Littles set and accomplish goals
- Bigs and Littles plan and participate in fun activities together that form a lasting impact
- Supported by a Match Coordinator (Masters level social worker or equivalent) at the agency
Bigs are …
- 21 years old or older
- Interested in mentoring a Little of the same gender, age 7-17, who lives in the five boroughs
- Willing and able to finance match outings (low or no-cost outings are highly encouraged)
- Willing to pick up / drop off Little for outings if the Little doesn’t travel independently
- From all walks of life! Men, people of color, volunteers ages 50+, individuals of all faith backgrounds, and Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply
Big and Little matches connect…
- Over time: Bigs and Littles each commit to the match relationship for at least one year
- Face-to-face: twice per month for about eight total hours (usually on the weekends)
- Over the phone: once weekly to catch up
- To learn skills: workshops offered at CBSBB for hands-on match support and skill-building
How To Apply
Interested? Contact us…
- On the internet: www.cbsbb.org/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x502
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at CBSBB.