International Program Director in Nicaragua
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Manna Project International
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Design and implement community development programs for 5, 7, 11 or 13-months in Nicaragua!
About MPI: Manna Project International (MPI) is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that fosters communities of talented young leaders to become the next generation of social change agents by engaging in collaborative, on-the-ground service with international communities in need. Operating international sites in Nicaragua and Ecuador, MPI enlists groups of 5- to 13-month volunteers who live and work together to implement a variety of community development programs focused on improving health, education and livelihoods. For more information, visit www.mannaproject.org.
Program Director Job Description: Program Directors run the day-to-day operations of MPI’s community programs on the grounds in Ecuador and Nicaragua. Program Directors live and work together with a team of 6-12 other individuals. Program Directors contribute to the organization’s program design, implementation of new projects, monitoring and evaluation, short-term volunteer oversight, recruitment, financial oversight, grant writing, fundraising, social media, public relations, and donor relations. Program Directors report to the Site Coordinator or Country Director.
There are 5 primary roles for Program Directors:
- Developing and running community programs
- Managing organizational operations
- Raising awareness in the U.S. of international issues
- Hosting short-term volunteers & training incoming Program Directors
- Building relationships with local organizations and community members
The responsibilities of Program Directors include any and all tasks necessary to maintaining and improving the day-to-day operations of MPI.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Maintaining current community development programs, and designing and implementing new initiatives;
- Building and deepening MPI’s local and international partnerships;
- Collaborating regularly with fellow Program Directors and the Country Director to improve the reach and effectiveness of MPI’s programs;
- Submitting programmatic reports to the Country Director and regularly tracking metrics to assess the impact of MPI’s programs;
- Organizing and leading short-term groups of spring break volunteers and summer interns, ensuring that volunteers conduct themselves in a goal-oriented, culturally sensitive way, and that they are in line with the mission and vision of MPI’s holistic approach;
- Training the incoming group of Program Directors, with an eye to efficient, effective, and sustainable progress and programming;
- Fundraising for on-site programmatic and operational development, room and board, and a weekly stipend; and
- Participating in organization-wide planning and development, including recruitment, finances, grant writing, fundraising, social media, public relations, and donor relations.
- Willingness to commit to MPI’s principles and approach to community development
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work in a team, professionally and personally, as Program Directors both live and work together
- Desire to experience a new culture, foods, and customs
- Enthusiasm for life outside your comfort zone
- High level of patience and flexibility, as living and working in a developing country is often unpredictable and moves at a different pace than in the U.S.
- Self-starter, able to succeed in an environment with a high level of autonomy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- 3 weeks vacation in December (for 13-month Program Directors)
- 5-10 personal days (depending on length of commitment); 10 national holidays annually
- MEDEX international travel insurance
- A visa to live in-country for the duration of your work with MPI
- Professional development including language training, quarterly retreats and ongoing leadership experience
- A communal experience of a lifetime
Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
MPI is currently accepting applications for Program Directors. Click here for application deadlines and to learn more about the position: http://www.mannaproject.org/program-director