Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
POSITION TITLE: International Research & Media Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Burma Link – Mae Sot, Thailand
REPORTS TO: International Coordinator
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: The volunteer will continuously research new developments, news and publications by Burma Link’s partners and other relevant media and organisations, following Burma Link's media monitoring guidelines. The volunteer will have the primary responsibility to update Burma Link's daily media, including the website, Facebook, Twitter, and information database (training provided).The volunteer is expected to read a significant amount of news, reports and other publications to develop an understanding of the situation inside Burma and on the Thailand-Burma border, particularly with regards to Burma’s ethnic nationalities and displaced populations. The volunteer will assist with other tasks as requested, which may include transcribing and writing/editing publications/proposals and supporting partner civil society organizations. The volunteer should be flexible and willing to relocate if needed. The minimum commitment is 3 months and the volunteer must be able to cover all their expenses (around USD 600-800 / month including visa, accommodation and living costs).
- Keep up to date information available on the website by continuously researching new publications and developments.
- Update website, social media, and database (daily)
- Keep up to date with report reading and other publications, to gain understanding of the current situation.
- Assist partner civil society organizations with media capacity building, proposal writing and other tasks as requested.
- Perform other duties as may be requested.
JOB REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL
- University degree.
- Strong research and editing skills.
- Interest in using media to spread information and voices from the ground.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of WordPress and website development is an advantage
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of Burmese & any ethnic language is an advantage.
- Knowledge of / experience with advocacy is an advantage.
- Demonstrated interest in Burma issues.
JOB REQUIREMENTS – PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Integrity and honesty.
- Cultural sensitivity and strong ethics.
- Reliability, and trustworthiness.
- High degree of personal initiative and creativity.
- Capable of working independently and within a team as well as forming strong working relationships with staff and volunteers across the organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage own time even under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to travel and work outside normal working hours.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing circumstances and cope with uncertainty.
- Ability to identify what needs to get done, then willing and able to make it happen with great attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Passionate about what Burma Link does.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers