Spanish Language Interpreter for Asylum Interviews
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Immigrant Defenders Law Center
Immigrant Defenders Law Center advances social justice for Southern California’s most marginalized immigrant and refugee communities through legal services, community empowerment, and advocacy for adults and children in federal immigration custody. Immigrant Defender Law Center’s objective is to preserve families and communities by empowering individuals to know their rights in the immigration system, providing access to legal representation, and advocating for social change.
ImmDef is seeking volunteers to interpret for our unaccompanied minor clients during their asylum interview before US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As a volunteer, you will be required to attend at least one in-office meeting prior to the interview date to prepare with the attorney and client. Although volunteers are not expected to be professional interpreters, we do expect interpreters to be fully fluent in English and Spanish.
This is an ongoing, on-call, opportunity. All asylum interviews are conducted in Anaheim, CA. Interviews are scheduled Monday-Friday, anytime between 6:00am and 2:00pm, and can last between 3-5 hours.
· Prompt response when opportunity inquiry emails are received
· Communicate changes in availability to Volunteer Coordinators
· Be available 1-2 hours to prepare with the client and attorney prior to the official interview
Requirements and Commitment:
· Fully fluent in Spanish and English
· Participate in a mini-training, usually done over the phone
· Strict confidentiality throughout your involvement on a case
· Sensitivity to persons with trauma and disabilities
· Reliable transportation to the asylum office in Anaheim, CA
· Cross-cultural Communication
Requirements & Commitment:
· Driver's License Needed
· Must be at least 19
· Orientation or Training
· 3-5 hours