Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
14 Locations Across Birmingham
Requirements for Tutors
Tutors develop one-on-one relationships, which makes this volunteer experience such a rewarding and worthwhile effort. STAIR has an excellent, user-friendly curriculum that makes it easy for volunteers to follow with no outside prep time and no prior educational experience.
1. Commit to tutoring one or two days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) between the hours of 3:15-4:45PM from September through April.
*Exception: Substitute tutors are called when needed to fill in for weekly tutors.
**Students: Please think through your sports and seasonal commitments and consider whether you can fully commit to your tutoring responsibilities.
2. You must be a freshman in high school or older to volunteer with STAIR. We request that a parent/guardian of high school students accompany their student to new tutor orientation and sign up to be a substitute for their child when they are absent from their tutoring responsibilities.
3. Attend an orientation.
4. Pass a background check.
How to Become a Tutor
1. Sign up for an orientation at stairbirmingham.org/tutor
2. Attend an orientation where you will select a site, complete the background check, and fill out volunteer paperwork.
3. The Director of Volunteer Engagement will get you matched with your site.
4. Observe a seasoned tutor and student, if possible.
5. Begin tutoring.
- Training Provided