Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Irish American Heritage Center
4626 North Knox Avenue
In partnership with Foróige – Ireland’s leading youth organization – Irish Community Services (ICS) is launching a youth empowerment project for 12 to 18 year-olds that offers personal development programming incorporating elements of Irish heritage. The intended outcomes of the Foróige club are:
- To enable young people consciously and actively in their own development and in the development of their communities facilitated through adult leaders.
- To provide learning experiences designed to enhance cultural awareness, appreciation, and connection among its members.
- To hold a space for mental and physical development where members feel safe, empowered, and free from threats to their well being.
Volunteer leaders make it possible for young people to socialize safely, try new things, develop their confidence and self-reliance, and get involved in their community. The volunteer must devote energy, experience, and empathy to every Foróige member. Volunteers are trained and supported by ICS staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Attend required trainings
- Act as a guide, mentor, and facilitator to support members in managing the club
- Assist members in selection and implementation of developmental activities
- Foster sense of collective responsibility and encourage community service
- Create an atmosphere of respect and trust
- Follow the practice of not doing for the members what they can do for themselves
- Work as a team with Irish Community Services staff and other volunteers
- Follow child safeguarding policies and procedures
Desired Qualities and Qualifications
- Adult age 18+
- Warm, patient, and encouraging personality
- Willing to share respect, authority and responsibility with young people
- Adaptable, open-minded and willing to learn
- Have a passion for people and strong belief in community service
- Ability to lead and eager to have ownership
- Ability to commit to 4-8 hours service/month (Beginning November 2018)
- Willing to complete a free background check
As a Foróige volunteer leader, you’ll have a stake in your community by offering leadership and mentoring to youth. Positive relationships between volunteers and young people have the ability to improve youth’s confidence, self-esteem, and attitudes about community. You’ll also have the opportunity to learn from youth and other volunteers, and make connections with like-minded individuals with a desire to serve.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please send a letter of interest to Aisling Culhane, Youth and Family Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com
Office hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30-4:30