Combined Organic farming and Eco-tourism projects in Ghana.
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Prime Care Network
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Greater Accra Region
We offer the opportunity for volunteers to work on a small organic farming, Cultural and Eco-tourism projects in Ghana. Whether taking part in a gap year, summer placement or career break, volunteers and local staff are responsible for maintaining all aspects of the farm including animal care, crop-growing, flower-production, herb-cultivation and land-management.
- This project is usually combined with other projects such as community building project or on a care project or teaching project can also help on the farm.
- Produce which is grown on the farm includes small quantities of oranges, plantains, papaya, carrots, onions, yam and herbs which are used as medicinal remedies. The farm is also home to rabbits, guinea pigs, geese etc.
- Volunteers arrange trips for local schools to visit the farm. Children are then educated about the processes involved in growing crops in a sustainable environment. They also learn how to take care of animals and how to identify seeds and produce herbs. Volunteers receive training from local specialists in the different techniques involved and are given an agricultural text-book, which is part of the curriculum, to use with the school children.
- Fencing and netting parts of the site. Planting new seeds and herbs.
- Helping to build enclosures. Creating a display area for seeds and herbs.
- Helping with the construction of a rest area for volunteers and planting trees to provide shade.
- Volunteer and experience Ghana on your own or with a group (of students, friends, and family).
- Enjoy authentic Ghanaian culture through a range of activities, such as sightseeing and African drumming and dancing lessons.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers