Volunteer Tutor English with Refugee Adults
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Heartland Alliance- Refugee and Immigrant Community Services
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
4419 North Ravenswood Avenue
About: Heartland Alliance’s Vocational English Language Training (VELT) program provides a comfortable and supportive environment for adult refugees from Bhutan, Burma, Central African Republic, Congo, Cuba, Eritrea, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, and Syria to learn English so they can gain confidence and participate more fully in their community and at work. Tutors provide classroom assistance in four levels of English and one-on-one or small group tutoring to help adult refugees improve their basic reading, writing, and speaking skills. Tutors will receive free tutor training before they begin.
Good match for: Anyone who wants to play a vital role in empowering refugee adults with the language skills necessary to be successful in the US. Experience tutoring literacy and/or English as a Second Language are a plus!
Where: 4419 N Ravenswood, Chicago, IL 60640
Time commitment and requirements:
- Provide classroom assistance and one-on-one or small group tutoring in the mornings and afternoons. Volunteers are especially needed during class times: 9:00 to 12:15, Monday to Friday.
- Attend a 12-hour pre-service tutor training.
- Conduct an observation of classroom instruction before starting and meet with VELT teachers after to ensure a good fit.
- Volunteer for at least 2 hours a week for 6 months.
- Be enthusiastic about working people from diverse backgrounds!
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
How To Apply
Contact Lindsay Crammond at email@example.com for more information.
Applicants will be required to fill out a volunteer application, attend a 12-hour pre-service tutor training, and observe English classes before starting.
We look forward to hearing from you!