MG is searching for an experienced partnership-builder and communicator with a passion for understanding planet Earth and contributing solutions to pressing challenges around climate science, creating resilient ecosystems and communities, and finding novel solutions to addressing the climate crisis.
The Senior Director will work on a team that focuses on developing, stewarding and communicating C-suite level public-private partnerships between federal government agencies and private sector entities in the NGO, philanthropy and for-profit sectors. Early emphasis will be to support work with one of the world’s premier space and Earth exploration agencies, that leverages the unique power of science and technology to understand Earth as a system and advance solutions to pressing societal challenges globally. This individual will be part of many teams, including one that is helping to expand our client’s reach and relationships around the world.
The needed candidate for this position is highly strategic, relationship- focused, science-driven, excited about technology, and passionate about the role of government in leading change globally.
General Responsibilities Include
But Are Not Limited To:
PARTNERSHIP AND RELATIONSHIP DEVELOPMENT
- Develop, manage and strengthen public-private partnerships by surfacing shared interests, distilling concrete opportunities to pursue together and developing and advancing agreements with clear expectations.
- Formalize and track partnership progress and overseeing measurement and evaluation to ascertain results and learning.
- Build high-performing teams that communicate and learn well together, share leadership and solve problems.
- Create multi-stakeholder coalitions that leverage the power of collective action and diversity to pursue solutions to global challenges.
COMMUNICATION AND CAPACITY-BUILDING
- Develop compelling multimedia communication products that convey the importance of scientific research priorities, discoveries, applications and related technologies.
- Build the capacity of others to communicate strategically, including training and coaching others in how to communicate science for different audiences—researchers, electeds, science-inclined and the general public.
- Advance intercultural communication, including helping scientists and engineers engage more effectively with decision-makers and changemakers on the ground.
STRATEGIC, PROGRAM AND WORK PLANNING
- Advance strategic planning and program planning, including setting goals and objectives, strategy, tactics, budget, measurement and evaluation.
- Connect strategic and program planning to financial planning in order to clarify needed investments.
- Design detailed work plans that engage people with aligned interests and expertise, and provide the support needed for each team member to support quality work that delivers on time and on budget.
- 5 – 10 years of experience working with science-driven organizations in the public or private sector, potentially in a researcher, program officer, science writer or project manager capacity.
- Proven experience developing high-performing teams, partnerships and/or coalitions that create tangible and enduring outcomes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.Strong analytical, facilitation, engagement, communication and budget management skills.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and managing diverse stakeholder relationships.
- Experience storytelling and writing for both science-inclined audiences and the general public.
- Availability to travel domestically and internationally (pending assessment of COVID-19 protocols and conditions).
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher or commensurate lived-experience preferred.Must be authorized to accept employment in the United States.
- Experience working inside consulting agencies, government agencies, philanthropies, large corporations and/or science organizations preferred.
- Familiarity with scientific research method, remote sensing, big data systems, Artificial Intelligence and/or Machine Learning.
- Provide high-quality, professional consulting services and expertise to clients, while leveraging the talents of the team.
- Be a team player and excel at team-oriented problem solving.
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
- Contribute positively to the psychological safety of an intercultural environment.
- Support and embody MG values, goals and operating principles. • Have an upbeat, creative and professional demeanor.