Senior Account Executive
Social Justice Communications
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
Fenton has a high-energy, challenging, and supportive environment that puts its clients first while taking professional development of its staff seriously. We want staff who want to work hard, work smart and learn how to be effective change-makers.
We are currently seeking a Senior Account Executive with 3-5 years of experience who is deeply immersed in political news and the progressive movement and is passionate about some of the biggest fights ahead of us for reproductive rights, voting rights, racial justice, and climate action, among many others. If you’re ready to work closely with the media to make these priorities a reality, this is the role for you.
The Senior Account Executive is a significant contributor to client accounts and has a wide range of management, editorial and creative responsibilities
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Developing and executing advanced public relations tactics, including:
o Overseeing media campaigns and contributing to strategic planning for clients
o Pitching high level reports, editors, producers, and columnists
o Writing, editing and reviewing press releases, fact sheets, op-eds and other press materials
o Organizing and staffing press events and editorial board visits
· Serving as primary client contact for small to mid-level accounts
· Developing account strategy with senior staff which includes creating key client correspondence
· Assisting in managing pieces of large accounts and may lead on smaller accounts as assigned
· Managing client relations and building a positive client rapport
· Developing and leading content development for materials such as collateral and client presentations
· Contributing to proposal writing and strategy memos
· Increasing levels of budget responsibilities such:
o Managing client budgets for profitability for preventing overages
o Anticipating and alerting VP/SVP of potential account budget issues
· Participating in new business pitches as assigned including:
o Writing portions of new business proposals
o Development of new business decks
o Leading proposal development processes
o Contributing to new business strategies through providing program recommendations
o Participating in business pitches
· Developing and contributing minimum of two new business ideas per quarter
· Training and mentoring junior staff
· Delegating appropriate tasks to junior staff
· Acting as a model of good citizenship
· Attending and leading as appropriate staff and team meetings – providing input and feedback on business improvement, including client service staff development, and office procedures
· Minimum Bachelors’ degree or equivalent work experience. Non-traditional educational paths welcomed!
· Three to five years’ experience with a communications agency or political advocacy groups, nonprofit organizations, philanthropy, campaigns, or public affairs
· Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of public relations, communications, and social activism
· Demonstrated experience in traditional and digital media
· Firm understanding of client billing processes, client contracts and customer service
· Demonstrated ability to pitch and service clients
· Ability to efficiently multitask under tight deadlines
· Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook/Entourage), LexisNexis, and internet research skills
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contactors, and media
· Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignments
· Ability to interact and meet client and team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
· Highly organized with attention to detail
· Knowledge of one of more of Fenton’s issue areas
Fenton is an anti-racist and intersectional organization that prioritizes the needs of those who have been historically marginalized or oppressed. We do the work of creating positive social change as an act of repairing the harm done to those who have been and are currently disenfranchised across racial, gender, sexual orientation and preference, religious and other marginalized backgrounds. We are committed to doing work that is rooted in justice and equity and continuing to learn how to do this work better.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and women. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work and are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
Senior Account Executive
Social Justice Communications
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education…