Location: Remote. East Coast working hours preferred.
Compensation and benefits: $130,000 – $170,000. Benefits include: Unlimited PTO; Health insurance with $780/month employer contribution (US), full dental and vision (US); Fossil fuel divested 401k with 5% match (US); Stipends for remote work, connecting with team members, and professional development; Sabbatical after seven years of employment.
Application Deadline: June 8, 2023
About the Role
The Managing Director of Atmos is an experienced and visionary leader responsible for executing the organization’s mission, growing the organization’s capacity, and overseeing all day-to-day operations. The Managing Director oversees all organizational areas, demonstrates leadership and builds a thriving team culture, ensures the organization is fully staffed, creates and oversees human resource policies, is responsible for financial performance and legal compliance, and ensures Atmos continues to produce high-quality, impactful content that inspires and empowers collective action at the intersection of climate and culture. The Managing Director designs and implements strategies that fulfill the vision, goals, and direction set by the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, and reports to the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief.
About the Organization
Atmos is an exploration of climate and culture, a nonprofit biannual magazine and digital platform curated by a global ecosystem of artists, activists, and writers devoted to ecological and social justice, creative storytelling, and re-enchantment with the natural world.
Each volume of Atmos places a different element of our relationship to the Earth under a microscope, from the latest developments in neo-natural resources to collapsing ecosystems to the nature of being human. Through innovative design, in-depth storytelling, and impactful imagery, our goal is to elevate our collective consciousness surrounding sustainability and the future of our planet.
- Mission and Growth: Execute a strategic plan for Atmos in alignment with the vision and goals developed by the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief. Oversee the growth of Atmos through capacity building, fundraising, new initiatives and verticals, partnerships, and audience development.
- Daily Operations: Oversee the ongoing operations of all organizational areas including the development of team structures, policies, and workflows. Maintain the organizational chart and work with team members to shift or redefine roles as necessary to ensure coverage and management of all organizational areas.
- Quality Assurance: Ensure Atmos produces high-quality, creative, and impactful storytelling across new and existing platforms through the hiring and management of creative and editorial teams.
- Team Culture: Create and foster a thriving organizational culture and spirit of unity. Manage and mentor a talented and diverse team of editors, creatives, and operational team members.
- Human Resources: Oversee the development and implementation of HR frameworks, policies, benefits, hiring practices, and performance management systems that leave team members feeling supported.
- Financial Management: Oversee the financial management of the organization, including forecasting, budgeting, fundraising, grant management, and the organization's annual audit. Ensure accurate budgeting and sound funding for the mission and goals of the organization, taking corrective action where necessary.
- Creating and Maintaining Systems: Ensure adequate systems for internal communications and work processes. Ensure Atmos’s internal documentation is robust and up-to-date, including team handbooks and workflows.
- Legal: Ensure the organization’s compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and standards. Maintain proper insurance policies for the organization. Oversee the organization’s counsel in developing all legal templates and review of legal documents.
- Building Relationships: Build and maintain relationships between relevant organizational team members and key stakeholders, including funders, partners, and collaborators.
- Public Relations: Represent the organization in public forums and media appearances, building our brand and expanding our reach.
- Leadership: Prepare and present regular reports on the status of the organization's operations to the Publisher and Editor-in-Chief. Prepare bi-annual reports for the Board of Directors.
- Perform other related duties to benefit the mission of the organization.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in media, journalism, or a related field or 7-10 years building and running an environmental nonprofit. Proven track record of leadership and impact required.
- Experience managing teams. Proven track record in areas of organizational development including aligning strategy, structures, people, and performance management processes with organizational goals.
- Passion for impactful and creative storytelling at the intersection of climate and culture, with an emphasis on inspiring readers to take individual and collective action in healing our relationship with the planet
- Experience creating forecasts and managing budgets. Fundraising and grant management experience preferred but not required.
- High level of detail and organization to support the creation and documentation of organizational processes
- Resourcefulness and high accountability to ensure global legal and tax compliance
- Strong strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances and environments
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, with the ability to lead and manage a diverse team of staff and contributors
- Submit your application. Answer a couple of questions in lieu of a cover letter that will showcase your alignment with our mission and experience in media, journalism, or a related field.
- Phone Interview. Tell us about your talents and goals. You can ask us questions about the role.
- One-way Video Interview. Tell us more about your passions and relevant experiences.
- Interview with the Hiring Committee
- Written Assignment to understand how you would communicate to external partners, how you understand key aspects of the role, and how you would navigate internal dynamics
This search is being led by NRG Consulting Group. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.