POSITION PROFILE: Administrative Specialist, Human Resources – Margaret A Cargill Philanthropies
LOCATION: Eden Prairie, MN
The Administrative Specialist is responsible for providing administrative support to the Human Resources team. This is a visible role within the organization that will interact across all departments and play an important role in providing a welcoming candidate and employee experience at MACP. The position requires effective communication skills, attention to detail, handling confidential information, critical thinking, establishing priorities, meeting deadlines, and the ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands. Work also requires flexibility and coordination with other team members to accomplish overall team goals.
This position reports to the Director, Human Resources & Administration and is a member of the Human Resources & Administration Team, which includes employees from Human Resources, Information Technology, Project Implementation and Office & Facilities. This position is also a member of the Administrative Support Team.
MISSION AND ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies (MACP) refers collectively to two grantmaking entities, Margaret A. Cargill Foundation (MACF) and Anne Ray Foundation (ARF). The two foundations have separate boards and investment portfolios but share a common mission of providing meaningful assistance and support to society, the arts, and the environment.
- Margaret A. Cargill Foundation is a private foundation that came into existence upon Ms. Cargill’s death in August 2006. MACF’s assets are approximately $3 billion
- Anne Ray Foundation is a supporting organization, which may make grants only to beneficiary organizations specifically named by Ms. Cargill. ARF’s assets are approximately $4 billion.
MACP’s well developed Philosophy of Grantmaking underscores the values and guiding principles of Margaret A. Cargill by using education and innovation as a means to achieve core purposes; empowering people to be self-sufficient; maintaining a low profile while meeting the needs of others; supporting programs that could have a broad impact, have socially redeeming values and standards, and that value life; and relieving suffering in times of disaster. As a core element of its philosophy, MACP invests in long-term relationships with key grantee organizations in order to find solutions that are consistent with the values of both parties.
Additionally, MACP is engaging in a diversity, equity, and inclusion process that includes:
- Building intercultural competency and emotional intelligence work at an organizational level, to include deeper learning and dialogue on racial and social equity.
- Increasing local racial equity grantmaking to fund local efforts to address systemic racism and social inequities; and,
- Reviewing each programmatic domain to more formally examine the role equity and inclusion currently play and can play in MACP’s grantmaking.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide administrative support to the Human Resources team.
- Scheduling and calendar management;
- Assist with the daily schedule of Director, Human Resources & Administration, including calendaring meetings and managing conflicts, maintain the HR Outlook calendar and provide calendar management support for HR Team members
- Work collaboratively with administrative team colleagues to schedule meetings involving multiple participants with complex calendars
- Schedule team meetings, manage agenda cadence, and coordinate all logistics for a variety of HR & Administration team meetings
- Plan and coordinate on-site and off-site meetings including monthly all employee meetings, team meetings, new hire gatherings and special events such as benefits enrollment, staff financial planning sessions, flu clinic, employee recognition events, and retirement celebrations.
- Manage the process of scheduling meetings, agenda development, communication with presenters and material gathering and distribution
- Make room, facility, teleconference/videoconference, meal/catering, and guest travel arrangements, as needed
- Coordinate activities and vendors before and during the meeting
- Ensure all logistical aspects of meetings run smoothly; proactively handle issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems during meetings/events.
- Support efforts related to talent acquisition, on-boarding, compensation and benefits administration;
- Partner with team members to support the recruitment process including scheduling and coordinating interviews and debriefs, making travel arrangements when needed, managing interview days, and communicating with candidates and recruitment partners
- Maintain HR recruitment files, MACP career inbox and career website
- Support on-boarding activities for all new hires, interns and temporary employees including scheduling on-boarding meetings and coordinating paperwork.
- Assist with entering employee related information in HR Information System (ADP), including new hires, annual salaries, salary ranges.
- Create and send monthly Service Award Program letters
- Support annual salary planning process; including scheduling manager meetings and creating annual salary award letters
- Assist with preparation and management of documents and presentations, including:
- Use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to develop and revise documents, compose routine letters, emails and memoranda, and format materials to align them with branding standards
- Use Microsoft Excel to create and update spreadsheets, charts, and graphs
- Use Microsoft Visio to create and update organization charts
- Save documents to the organizations’ document management systems (SharePoint) as needed and according to organization procedures and help maintain physical employee files.
- Other duties to include:
- Prepare and process invoices and expense reports for the HR team
- Coordinate travel logistics and registration for conferences and events
- Enhance organization and department effectiveness and efficiencies through identifying and owning steps to improve processes
- Participate collaboratively in cross-functional teams and projects as assigned
- Provide back-up to other Administrative staff as necessary
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years as an Office Assistant, Administrative Assistant, or related role
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with integrity
- Strong working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook; an openness to using new technologies; prefer experience with Visio, SharePoint and/or Concur
- Calendar management experience, preferably with complex calendars of multiple participants
- Demonstrated commitment to intercultural competence and emotional intelligence; understanding of the intersections and implication of diversity, equity and inclusion in the field of human resources
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively in person and in writing with internal and external constituents
- Desire to collaborate; ability to communicate effectively with employees, candidates, vendors and other partners
- Strong planning and organizing skills with ability to manage multiple bodies of work concurrently
- Ability to problem solve and make fact-based recommendations demonstrating sound judgment
- Interest in and ability to continuously improve processes
- Travel management experience preferred
- High School degree or equivalent required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.
How to apply: Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies is partnering with kp companies in this search. Applications can be submitted ONLINE HERE or if preferred, resumes and cover letters can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include MACP – Admin Specialist HR in the subject line.