Do you have 7+ years of experience working within a large nonprofit and possess a law degree and expertise in legal documentation (contractual agreements, MOUs, etc)? Are you passionate about social justice, racial justice, and criminal reform?
We are currently in search of a Senior Director, Legal Compliance for a social justice & criminal reform organization. The position is based in Oakland, CA. This is a permanent opportunity with remote flexibility.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Justice & Criminal Reform
LOCATION: Oakland, CA with remote flexibility
POSITION TITLE: Senior Director, Legal Compliance
ANNUAL SALARY: $160K
SCHEDULE: Full time
Is This Your Dream Job? Are you passionate about social justice, racial justice, and criminal reform? This multi-state organization’s mission is to reform the criminal justice system by providing more public safety solutions rooted in community health, crime prevention, rehabilitation, and support for crime victims. This position requires nonprofit experience and a law degree. Strong experience with and expertise in legal documentation. You will report directly to the COO, serving as a thought leader and partner.
Contract and Lobbying Legal Oversight (35%)
- Review and revise contractual agreements and advise on contract terms and negotiations Proofread, edit, and fact-check legal documents for accuracy and consistency
- Develop, implement, and oversee the use of a lobbying time tracking system for staff and contractors, including adding or removing staff, answering questions, following up as needed
- Advise staff on legal matters as it relates to contracts, agreements, lobbying, and/or compliance
Insurance, Compliance, and Risk Management (35%)
- Identify compliance and risk issues reflected in contractual, grant, and other legal agreements and escalate issues to relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Respond to inquiries concerning the existing contractual, grant, and legal obligations and termination of contracts
- Collaborate with the Grants/Contracts Department on initiatives related to contracting and granting processes
- Collaborate with the Development Department on initiatives related to grant awards, cash donation, and/or other fundraising activities
- Ensure that terms and conditions, corporate records, lobbying activities, and other activities comply with the organization's policies and applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure that the terms of agreements are written in language that is legally binding and in accordance with the organization's goals
- Prepare lobbying registrations and reports for review
Leadership and Operations (20%)
- Develop, supervise, evaluate, and retain a highly-qualified Legal and Compliance team Foster a culture of innovation, transparency, and accountability
- Balance and prioritize the needs of the team with organization direction and capacity Maintain oversight of all Legal and Compliance projects, ensuring that commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored, and reported
- Develop and oversee the implementation and management of annual strategic plans that align with department and organization-wide deliverables
External Representative (10%)
- Manage organization's legal, insurance, lobbying, and compliance partnerships
- Oversee negotiation and administration of contracts, agreements, and other legal obligations Attend meetings with external stakeholders to advise, discuss, and/or negotiate on legal and compliance-related matters
- Attend industry-related user groups and/or affinity organizations as a representative of the organization, when applicable
Experience & Qualifications
- Law degree/professional work experience as an attorney required
- California bar certification preferred
- Nonprofit law experience preferred, particularly with law, compliance, or risk management
- A passion for advancing social justice, racial justice, and criminal justice reform
- Experience working alongside staff from a range of backgrounds and in communities directly impacted by crime violence and over-incarceration
- Experience working within a growing institution or start-up; strong interest in building processes and systems
- Proven track record in writing policies and procedures; ability to see the through-line from concept to implementation, management and tracking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with solid public speaking skills
- Ability to break down complex information into a step by step processes; experience using project management and communication software such as Asana, Slack, etc. is a plus
- Minimum 7 years of previous experience working within a large, multi-state nonprofit or multi-faceted program management role; campaign environment preferred
- Supervision experience required
Working Physical Conditions
- Must be based in California; Bay Area preferred
- Work is normally performed in an interior office setting that does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual element
- Occasional travel, as identified
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders, and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions, and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please click "Apply" below and follow the instructions to submit your resume.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.